• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Growling sound when brakes are applied

smcdonaldaz

NAXJA Forum User
Stock '93. Wnen I apply the brakes with more than light pressure there is what sounds like growling coming from the power brake unit. There is no degredation in braking pressure that I can tell but I'm worried that may be arround the corner.

Any thoughts?

My '90 has an early form of ABS that has a 'pump' mounted on the firewall near the coolant overflow bottle. The 'growling' I was talking about is the pump doing it's thing. Mine pumps nearly every time I brake.
I really don't know what this thing does other than growl and irritate the grap outta me.:gonnablow If this is what's making the noise on your rig, I would have thought you would have noticed it before now. Other's on the forum know more about this thing and what it actually does. You could try a search for "abs pump" and see what that turns up.:eek:wl: As far as I know the 'growling' noise is normal. Go figure.

Back