• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New RE lift 45 days in 2" sag driver leaf

aroncull

NAXJA Forum User
So in the last week or so I have watched my drivers side leaf pack totally sag out. We are at about 1.75 inch of difference between sides measured from the axle to the frame rail.
I searched and found all sorts of things, BUT....
the other issue is that the passenger side leaf pack is level with the front.
So switching sides is not an option.

How does Rubicon express usually deal with this stuff?

Typically RE does not cover sagging. I would contact them direct @ 1.877.367.7824 and see what they can do. They will ask for comparison photos most likely, if they even think about issuing a warranty. Who'd you purchase them through? Directly from RE? Or another company? Good luck.

Well thats concerning...

I havnt had the lift installed but exactly 41 days.

I have put maybe 500 miles on it so far.

To me it should be warrantied. Leaf packs should not sagout that bad, that fast...

The jeep is very crooked, not a little bit. I mean the other side is 1.85" higher then the other.

I tend to believe its a bad leaf pack, hopefully they will agree.

I got the kit from 4x4groupbuy.com.

it's not actually leaning a full 1.85". divide that in half. you have to remember that it's technically "flexing". if one side goes down, the other side will come up.

make sure the coils are positioned in the buckets properly. the buckets have a little groove for the coil ends to sit in. that could possibly give you enough upwards pressure.

do you have your swaybar connected??? i don't run any swaybars and my cherokee barely ever sits level because it "relaxes" more (as i like to call it).

double and tripple check EVERYTHING on both sides of every parts and make sure nothing is sitting uneven. but yeah.......otherwise i would contact the manufacturer.

still thats pretty bad...almost 2 inches...

if it turns out to be the leaf packs, they better support a warranty....otherwise, we can start boycottting RE...i've heard their customer service is terrible, just as a warning...

Remember,you will need to contact the vendor first,not RE.

loosen all the spring mounting bolts on both rear springs just enough to let the bushings settle... drive it arouind the block and measure again. ive seen this happen because the new springs were torqued down and as the spring settled the bushings "twisted" and the rig sat funny. also as suggested look at the front coils to make sure they are indexed properly. a "bad" spring isnt unheard of however its not very common. i'd look at what external forces might also have a similar effect on the chassis. if you think its a bad spring still i'd be calling Jason at Groupbuy and ask his assistance.

What spring PN 1463 (3.5") or 1462 (4.5")?
What was your measured lift hieght when first installed?
What height did you want to net?

I've run several sets of RE springs over the last 10 years and my experience is that when first installed, you will get 1"-1.5" more lift out of them, compared to the advertised height. With a little used and some trail/flex time, they will settle in to the advertised lift height.

Knowing this, on my current lift, I used 1.5" tall spring perch and RE1463 (3.5") springs, with the goal to net around 5" and run as flat a spring as possible,and then bump up to 6' with the use of an extended shackle to allow the springs to flex even better.

When first installed, I started out with 6" of lift and the Pass side settled before the Drivers side diff for whatever reason. I now have 5" of measured lift, which I will be bumping up to 6" with the planned, longer shackle.

OK so i will try to cover the Q's...

1ST I Called Jason @ 4x4groupbuy and RE is open on wednesday to start any process with them.

2nd if after the above methods are tried and its determined that the spring is indeed bad, I will buy a new one and send the old one back in hopes that they find it to be bad as well. It is my daily driver and the spring is sagging so bad that the Jeep actually is beginning to drive funny [No its not in my head].

I have before and after shots and its clear that the driver side leaf is waaay outta wack.. i will post picks when i get them online.

Before i try the loosen the bolts thing i need to take photos in the daylight and with a good camera.

Additional info;

Kit RE6200 Hybrid lift goal 5.5 - 6" inch ACTUAL. Not the 6.5 the kit nets as is...

Using leaf spring PN RE1463
RE1310 coils [i think] cant find the exact stuff right now...

ANYWAY.. i measured the lift before at 30 days i think. But not at all 4 corners.

I am netting 6" rear and 5.75" front
I am using ACOS's in the front and Teraflex shackels in the rear.

And just as an aside, i wish i would have opted for the Bilstiens right away and not the RE monotubes.. but i didnt have the extra $400 at the time...

Thanks Guys!!

-Aaron

I had a lynch pin fall out of my RE disconnect, the opposite rear corner sat an inch and a half low....I know you've probably checked, but I just want to make sure. It's really obvious, but it would suck to send a spring back because of a missing lynch pin and a half-connected swaybar.

No, one sway bar disco not connected will not cause a lean. Period. I've replaced HUNDREDS of broken sway bar links in my career, and having one side off will not cause a lean. What happens is the suspension isn't level to begin with, and the sway bar helps to even out the leaning that is already there. When the pin came out, it let the uneven suspension go back to being uneven. You need to fix the lean in addition to replacing the pin in the disco.

Back on topic. Did you do any thing with bump stops when you installed the lift? If not, and you flexed the rear to full compression on one side it could have stressed the spring. They don't like negative arch. If that's not it, I hope RE takes care of you.

Good luck!

I actually have done 0 flexing, strangly i have not even undone the discos yet.. i just havnt had time to mess with it at all.

What was the outcome on this ?

scottmcneal said:
Just think, if this was RC, you would have new leafs already.. Love the service at rough country.....
Yeah,you'ld have a new shitty set of leaves just like you started with(sorry man,been ther done that)!

I have walked away from the problem because i dont have time to mess with the Jeep at all. if the spring is bad i will replace it myself when i have time to, and its not so damn cold out.

Also RE refused to even consider a warranty since i had the life 2 months before i installed it.

They said i could send the leaf in at my expense and they may or may not warranty it.

aroncull said:
I have walked away from the problem because i dont have time to mess with the Jeep at all. if the spring is bad i will replace it myself when i have time to, and its not so damn cold out.

Also RE refused to even consider a warranty since i had the life 2 months before i installed it.

They said i could send the leaf in at my expense and they may or may not warranty it.

Post some pictures... just seems odd to me? Maybe you got (2) different leaf packs? 3.5" / 4.5"

Back