• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DIY alignment problem - stuck tie rod

clunk

NAXJA Forum User
Went to do the DIY alignment today but the threads on the tie-rod adjustment seem to be really siezed. I sprayed them down with penetrating oil a few times over the last few weeks in anticipation in this, but they seem to really be stuck. I used a monkey wrench on them to no avail, worried that if I exert more force I might break something. Does anyone have any tricks? I thought about heating them, but would rather not.
Thanks in advance.

Use a big pipe wrench on the middle of the tie-rod. It will cut up the tie-rod a bit but you can sand it down and paint it.

When using a pipe wrench, it really matter's where the jaws are at. You want at least one jaw on the split in the adjustable sleeve. Never 90 degrees from the split as it will just pinch it tighter, than your screwed.

I've used a big Vise grip pliers before. Now with tube and hiem joint, i just turn it easily by hand to do alignments :)

OK, I went at it again today with a pipe wrench with 2 foot cheater bar, still couldn't break it loose. It looked like I was going to start snapping other front end components so I gave in for the day.
Does anyone have any other tricks they can pass along? It really doesn't seem that it should be this hard to break it free. Should I heat it with a torch, being mindful of the tie rod boots?

I'd really rather do this alignment myself since I'll probably be adding another .5" spacer to level the front to back, but just waiting to see if my rear packs will sag any. I'd hate to pay an alignment shop only to put the spacer in and need an alignment again right after.

you did loosen the cinch bolts right?

yup, loosened them and slid them 8" over off the slits. Have been soaking the threads and slits in penetrating oil constantly, can't imagine why I'm having such a hard time. I did my rear shock bolts this morning and didn't have problems with either since I have been spraying them down for the last few weeks..but the tie rod is stuck really good!

remove tie-rod and try a vise if you are worried about stressing other parts. You may need new TRE's if the rig is old. I would just wail down on it and pop it free, thats what 1 hour alignment shops do :D

RyanM said:
remove tie-rod and try a vise if you are worried about stressing other parts. You may need new TRE's if the rig is old. I would just wail down on it and pop it free, thats what 1 hour alignment shops do :D

X2. Everything in a vise, pipe wrench, heat, PB blaster, etc; But Chicago road salt will do that.....

Just thought I'd post up that I finally got it. Applied some heat, bashed on either side of the "slit" with 2 hammers lightly then finally got a 4 foot cheater bar over the end of my 16" pipe wrench, since the 2 foot cheater I was using yesterday was just not working. It sill took alot of force but it finally popped free. Got my alignment done and drives better than ever.
Thanks again for the suggestions.

Back