• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Current Draw for Blower Motor?

In my 89 Cherokee, I've noticed that when I turn on the blower for the heater that the Ammeter drops down to the mark between 9 and 14 (~12). Draw is apparently related to motor speed, since changing speeds (all speeds work) changes reading with highest speed drawing the most current.

I have a new alternator and serpentine belt + all grounds are good.

I'm suspecting excessive draw from the blower motor. Any way to test?

A chronic complaint, this has little if anything to do with current draw from the blower. It's a lying voltmeter that shares circuitry with the voltmeter using wiring that's too light. Test the voltage at the battery to make sure, but don't worry about this, especially on an 89 (it's a little less severe in later models).

Matthew Currie said:
A chronic complaint, this has little if anything to do with current draw from the blower. It's a lying voltmeter that shares circuitry with the voltmeter using wiring that's too light. Test the voltage at the battery to make sure, but don't worry about this, especially on an 89 (it's a little less severe in later models).

X2^ 14.2v @ battery-- gauge reads 9v!:wow:

I fixed that darn voltmeter on my '90 Laredo...
The other day when i was replacing the 168 dash lights I took off the clear plexi protecting the front of the gauges. (I told myself--don't do that or you'll be sorry...) Anyway I managed to break the volt gauge needle. So.... I glued it back pointing at the 14 volt mark. Now my voltage PROBLEMS IS ALL SOLVED. And the crappy little volt gauge no longer bothers me. I even sleep better at night. Life is good.:sunshine:

Back