• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Newbie needs advice on steering column swap

Leica99XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I just acquired a 99 XJ 4x4 SE. The only option it has is power mirrors, and although I'm cool with roll up windows, I'm one of those people that really needs/wants a tilt steering column.

I did a search and could not find any info on swapping from a fixed to tilt column. Basically I'd like to know what I'd be getting myself into and the best way to go about it. I do all my own work, short of building motors and rebuilding trannys, etc. so I'm not scared of a challenge.

I'm also interested in installing factory cruise control, so I figured while I'm doing a column swap, I may as well get a steering wheel with the controls attached to the column to get a start on that also.

Any advice to these jobs or my new (to me) Jeep in general is appreciated.

i am also interested in this swap. i already have a donor of the same year. it also has cruise control. i would imagine this would be a direct swap.

how about using the same key as before. can i swap out the assembly? i would like to keep the same key. should be easier than swapping all the doors and the lift gate.

'95 4.0 btw if it matters

where in FL are you Leica?

I'm in St.Petersburg. But I'll be moving to western New York hopefully within the year, that's why I got a 4x4 XJ. Lots of trails up there....And snow!

But yeah, I'm thinking it should be a pretty straight forward swap, but you never know. I always like to hear from people that have done the job first just to get some insight. I need to get a shop manual here soon too, that would help out a hell of a lot!

Back