• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weekend off road trip

tcm glx

NAXJA Member #1033
Ok guys....so I know there is always Big Bear, and Callico, and all of that...but is there a weekend trip we could organize to start in one place and end somewhere else the second day.....

When I lived closer to mexico, we used to do the whole Ensenada to San Felipe type of thing and it was a blast.

Anything like that here...maybe from Bakersfield or Gorman back to Lucerne or Apple Valley all off road? If so, anyone down to organize a run like that?

tcm glx said:
Ill organize it. Just need the start and finish place.

Death Valley. Not much actually challenging wheeling, but tons of scenery. Rollins could give you a better idea of where to start and where to head.

Andy

Expedition-style runs are my favorite! I'm gonna be mostly out of town over the next few months, but I'm officially back in SoCal at the beginning of April. I will probably be organizing a Death Valley trip mid to late April after I get back.

What sucks is that I'll only be in Central CA and I have plenty of time to go wheeling over the next few months, but I will be working weekends specifically. So I won't be able to wheel with anybody who has a normal M-F schedule. My wheeling will be Mon-Wed from Jan 7 to April 6. :(

There are some trips out here in eastern Riv. Co. that could be done as two day trips, but it would require a drive out to east of Indio and end near the freeway (I-10) between Des. Center and Blythe... most require very little wheel'n, but are fun to explore, mines and canyons could be tied in with a moderate trip...

I probably couldn't put a trip together till after TDS....

Curt

Mojave Road perhaps?

You could do a combo on-off road expedition through part of eastern SD County, Anza Borrego, Ocotillo Wells, etc and camp a couple different places.

I've run through that type of trip many times in my head. The one I've been thinking about is from OC to the Mammoth. The other is OC to Vegas. The major road block is the LA/OC/IE metropolis. Once you get to the mountains there are quite a few options for just dirt.

karstic said:
I've run through that type of trip many times in my head. The one I've been thinking about is from OC to the Mammoth. The other is OC to Vegas. The major road block is the LA/OC/IE metropolis. Once you get to the mountains there are quite a few options for just dirt.

Wow...that would be sick! Although, wiith that kind of mileage, I think some jerry cans are in my future! lol!

Lake Isabella, Kern River area has some trails... I don't think it would be anything too tough. You could start out like at Lake Isabella or Jawbone Canyon and work your way up thru the Southern Sierras and into Monache Meadows/Kennedy Meadows and come back out on 395 just north of Inyokern.... I've been up there but only to fish.

Found this....http://www.desertdutch.org/kennedy.htm

Its something like Stehpan said... I've always PONDERED the trip in my head...

Scott

Last edited:
karstic said:

I could be down for an expedition trip with you.

One of these days we have to do a run together where no one totals a rig or nearly loses their life.

:edit: ooh. this was my 4,000th post.

Last edited:
ScottyDog said:
Lake Isabella, Kern River area has some trails... I don't think it would be anything too tough. You could start out like at Lake Isabella or Jawbone Canyon and work your way up thru the Southern Sierras and into Monache Meadows/Kennedy Meadows and come back out on 395 just north of Inyokern.... I've been up there but only to fish.

Found this....http://www.desertdutch.org/kennedy.htm

Its something like Stehpan said... I've always PONDERED the trip in my head...

Scott

I'm gonna be living about 35 miles below Kennedy Meadows off highway 108 for the next 3 mos. I love it up there!

xL8 APEKSx said:
Wow...that would be sick! Although, wiith that kind of mileage, I think some jerry cans are in my future! lol!

Plan includes a few short skips into town to get gas, but yeah a jerry can would be a necessity.

What are you gonna be doing in the southern Sierras?

xL8 APEKSx said:
I'm gonna be living about 35 miles below Kennedy Meadows off highway 108 for the next 3 mos. I love it up there!

I think you're talking about the Kennedy Meadows in the Norther Sierras, up towards Modesto right??

I was talking about the Kennedy Meadows in the Lower Sierras around the upper Kern River..... But that would be a really cool Expedition too if we could find some backroads that connected the Southern Portion of the mountain range to the Northern side.

Scott Suyeto

IslanderOffRoad said:
Mojave Road perhaps?

You could do a combo on-off road expedition through part of eastern SD County, Anza Borrego, Ocotillo Wells, etc and camp a couple different places.

Anza Borrego... Pinion Mtn. the squeeze maybe the Mud caves ?? there is more then enough for a couple of days of wheel'n... nothing too crazy... just some short rock sections... some hills & washes.

Curt

Back