• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

vent window removal and power windows

RottenDog

NAXJA Forum User
I am replacing my passenger vent window. The vent window is completely loose, but I cannot clear the power window glass for removal.

After following the convoluted Chilton manual and searching for info here, I still cannot determine if the following things must be done:

Is it necessary to drill out the regulator rivets? Does this allow for more movement of the power window glass to slide the vent window by?

Is it neccessary to completely remove the power window glass from the door to remove the vent window?

1987 2 door

I replaced the vent window in my 91 beater. It's no fun but it's entirely doable. I also had a bad latch on my driver's side, and I just bought a new latch from the dealership for $55. MUCH easier to just replace the latch if you can.

First thing is make sure the window glass is all the way down. If it's not down you won't be able to get the vent window out.

The vent glass is in frame that is shaped like the number "4". The vertical part runs all the way down inside the door as a guide for the main window with one or two screws, while the angled part is held onto the front of the door by a couple of screws through the outside.

After that you can rock the window out by leaning the vent frame backwards while pulling upwards. It will struggle but if the main window is down and you have unscrewed everything it will come out.

Back