• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP242 SYE?

mk153smaw

NAXJA Forum User
is there a SYE kit for a NP242? or does the one for the 231 work on it?

It is time I get one of these before I start getting tires and junk to go beyond 3"

I saw the write up on the hack and tap, just wondering if there was something lazy and pretty I could do in a few minutes.

mk153smaw said:
I saw the write up on the hack and tap, just wondering if there was something lazy and pretty I could do in a few minutes.

that would be swapping it for a 231 with an SYE already installed.

THe only think you could do in a few minutes is rip out your back half of the transfer case and send it to Tom Woods to have it cut. Then slap a hack and tap on'er. Or...just buy the H/T and do it yourself... either way....just a few short minutes on the computer with a credit card in hand...

Ya, H/T is the only way

You would think there would be a kit out there by now :( Is the 242 that technical that it has been avoided?
So I guess I am going to look for the stuff to hack mine like on Gojeep's webpage. He has all the handy part numbers already looked up and I have some good yards round me.
I dont feel like buying the RE kit, but I do need to get the flange from them. The kit comes with a bunch of stuff I already own, so it doesnt make sense to get more than just the flange.

Last edited:
Tom woods sells a full SYE for the 242. Its like $500 though, and I'm not sure that its worth it (I had my hands on one, gave it to a friend).

The 242 doesnt have as much support as there arent as many of them out there. A 231 SYE will work on XJ's and TJ's (there are a lot of TJ's) where the 242 is for the most part xj's, some durango's, some dodge trucks.. not nearly as many vehicles, and of them less that would use an SYE.

Back