• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Smoke From Steering Column

Cherokeekid88

NAXJA Forum User
Well for the last couple of days, ive smelt this burning smell while driving, didnt think about it and just thought it was fumes from my exhaust that i dumped right after the muffler, well today i was headed to family's house for Christmas eve and i saw smoke coming from my steering column while driving, i turned around and came back and parked it and got in the GF's XJ, now the smoke is not Cloudy, its like steam smoke. but a couple guys said it seems like the ignition switch is burned up...Anyone that can confirm this or what else it could be? and how much is this part and what all is involved to replace?

Well its likely an electrical short causing your smoke. Electrical smoke smells kinda funky and is normally not to thick unless the PVC coating catches. You should turn on the ignition without the engine running and the cover removed and look for hot (temperature) wires and trace them out. If the vehicle has alot of miles, its probably a chafed wire in a bundle near metal. Thats the area to look for wear. Let us know what you find.

sounds like what happened to my 94. its very common for those to go out. they do literally FRY!!!

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=936397

check out the pics on this thread!! that might be the answer you are looking for right there bro. not so pretty when you see it like that! mine was the same way. and to think you were riding around with it like that and it could've actually been on fire for a minute!

well good luck bro.

philagony94xj said:
sounds like what happened to my 94. its very common for those to go out. they do literally FRY!!!

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=936397

check out the pics on this thread!! that might be the answer you are looking for right there bro. not so pretty when you see it like that! mine was the same way. and to think you were riding around with it like that and it could've actually been on fire for a minute!

well good luck bro.

Ha. Those are my pics... I showed him the same pics on Jeepforum. Thats what I was smelling. I suggest swapping it out. Its a 10 dollar part, not bank-breaking. The date stamped in it was 5-1-88. It only lasted 19 years...:roflmao:

yeah dude, i cant believe i drove it around for a couple days like that. But yeah i havent driven it since i saw the smoke, so im gonna hopefully get it swapped out tom. along with a new fuel filter! thanks for the pics, ill post up some of mine after i get it pulled. So where exactly is this thing at? i need a chilton manual really bad. my hands are kinda small, so hopefully ill be able to reach it.

You can drive it if you'd like. I drove mine for almost a year with the smell (no smoke, but close to it.) All the smoke is, is the plastic burning on the hot metal prong. You can see some of the blue plug on my old switch. I dont think anything will catch fire. Like I said I smelled mine everyday for almost a year, until I changed it last week. Not saying yours will last that long, but im just telling what i experienced.

Chiltons will not help (as always) with this project, because they are vauge.

You need to drop the lower portion of the dash, (dont forget the screw behind the ashtray) look up under the dash, you will see a rod going to a device at the 10 o clock position. That is the high/low beam switch. Remove that bolt, and the other bolt near it. The dimmer switch is now off, but tape that rod to the cloumn, or it will slide out, and is difficult putting back in.

Now that the two bolts you removed are for the ignition switch, there should be one more to remove, so remove that one. Then pull the ignition switch up off of the metal rod, (at the 12 o clock position on the column) unplug/inspect the plugs/wires and replace the plugs on the new one, place the switch on top of the rod, finger tighten the two bolts, and make sure the key works like its supposed to, if not, slide the switch back and forth till it is callibrated. When it is, crank down the bolts, replace the dimmer, replace its bolt, and replace the lower dash.

I typed that kinda fast, so if you need clarification, just let me know.

Last edited:
ok just went out there and started taking the screws out to pull the lower dash. I think its 4 screws right below the steering column and then 2 screws on the bottom that holds down the yellow thing and then 1 screws that holds the bracket for the light that comes on when you open your doors at your feet, well i cant get one of the top screws out, i even used a drill but it wont catch it, so i looked up underneath it and i saw 2 bolts, maybe like a 10-14 mm bolt side by side and then i saw a bolt that is connected to a black rod that is diagonal and connected to something else, couldnt really see all that well. Am i getting close at all?? i couldnt really pinpoint where the actual ignition switch is at.

if your still having trouble there friend, the switch is located on the top side of the steering column. when you get that lower dash panel off, get it out of the way and find the steering column shaft. you should see a whole slew of colored wires coming out of a "connector". follow those wires to the switch on the top side of the column.

there should be two bolts, i think 1/2 inch or 13mm that hold the steering column up to the frame of the dash. unbolt those two and you should be able to wiggle the column down a little. *******when letting it down, make sure no wires are being stretched*********

a couple of small nuts and bolts hold the switch on the column. its not that hard at all i also have small hands and i had to let the column down. its just easier to get too that way. less fighting small spaces. and saves from cuts on the hands.

fyi if your unsure if you found the right switch, take the new one, and compare it too the one you are taking out. should be exactly the same.

good luck man, let us know if you need any more help

88XJSport said:
You can drive it if you'd like. I drove mine for almost a year with the smell (no smoke, but close to it.) All the smoke is, is the plastic burning on the hot metal prong. You can see some of the blue plug on my old switch. I dont think anything will catch fire. Like I said I smelled mine everyday for almost a year, until I changed it last week. Not saying yours will last that long, but im just telling what i experienced.

Chiltons will not help (as always) with this project, because they are vauge.

You need to drop the lower portion of the dash, (dont forget the screw behind the ashtray) look up under the dash, you will see a rod going to a device at the 10 o clock position. That is the high/low beam switch. Remove that bolt, and the other bolt near it. The dimmer switch is now off, but tape that rod to the cloumn, or it will slide out, and is difficult putting back in.

Now that the two bolts you removed are for the ignition switch, there should be one more to remove, so remove that one. Then pull the ignition switch up off of the metal rod, (at the 12 o clock position on the column) unplug/inspect the plugs/wires and replace the plugs on the new one, place the switch on top of the rod, finger tighten the two bolts, and make sure the key works like its supposed to, if not, slide the switch back and forth till it is callibrated. When it is, crank down the bolts, replace the dimmer, replace its bolt, and replace the lower dash.

I typed that kinda fast, so if you need clarification, just let me know.

oh sh** i didnt even see that you gave him instructions until i looked up through the posts. :doh: oh well, you can never have enough help though right?! lol

yeah 88xjsport i love that pic of it. thats exactly how mine looked too.

philagony94xj said:
oh sh** i didnt even see that you gave him instructions until i looked up through the posts. :doh: oh well, you can never have enough help though right?! lol

yeah 88xjsport i love that pic of it. thats exactly how mine looked too.
Well he has trouble after i posted, and i cant explain worth a crap, so im not suprised hes stumped. :D

You seemed to make better sense than me, but the original poster should let us know how hes coming along between our 2 homebrew instructions lol.

I should have took pics during my swap, since i had a feeling someone would have trouble with a switch after i buttoned my dash back up... damn me...

88XJSport said:
Well he has trouble after i posted, and i cant explain worth a crap, so im not suprised hes stumped. :D

but the original poster should let us know how hes coming along between our 2 homebrew instructions lol.

I should have took pics during my swap, since i had a feeling someone would have trouble with a switch after i buttoned my dash back up... damn me...

X2

seems we think of these things (taking pics of process to fix) after the fact.

you are so right that someone out there would love to see pics, even if they aren't that great. just something to reference to help along with the fix. i think i will have to start doing that from now on. even if it doesnt seem that important at the time i am sure someone out there would appreciate the help.

"homebrew instructions" i love it! ha ha ha :laugh:

Back