• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Potential new tow rig

tcm glx

NAXJA Member #1033
So I am thinking of trading in my Tahoe for this...

3402012350.234036881.IM1.02.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

What do you think. It is 4x2 (I want it that way so i use my XJ for the dirt! )
Fully loaded, 3.0 CRD!

Baby on the way, buying a house, looking at new cars....Time to start a background check.

:D

BTW Good lookin Jeep. How much are they looking to get out the door if you don't mind me asking.

Russ Pottenger said:
Baby on the way, buying a house, looking at new cars....Time to start a background check.

:D

BTW Good lookin Jeep. How much are they looking to get out the door if you don't mind me asking.

Hahah, no need, it is not brand new, it has 7k miles. They want 33 for it....

And I am trading in my tahoe (save money)

Its sweet!!!!! But, I don't know.

Whats the tow rating? How will it pull a loaded XJ (for the races) and a trailer? Don't just use the trailer + Xj weight without adding a decent amount for gear and gas and all that crap.

I think it might be too small for towing duty, diesel or not.

Add A Cummins NHC250 Diesel l6 No problem There HEHEHEHE

With the 3l crd in it, it gets the big 545rfe. It's a good trans, and a very good motor just don't break anything on or near the motor cause that thing is expensive. The rear axle is just an 8.25, so keep that in mind when you thinking about towing a jeep on a trailor, or just the jeep flat towed.

I wouldn't buy it as a tow rig, I would just buy a ram....good mileage, and one hell of a tow rating. You could probably get one of those for around the same price.

Justin

HEHEHEHE I Still Say NHC250 l6 And Install And An Atlas TransferCase Like The M923A1 =)

honestly tony the chevy will be safer when towing, your tow vehicle should have a longer wheel base and be heavyer than the combined package your towing. but that thing looks sweet

Ok guys, so it really wont be a tow rig. It will be my daily driver. Thats why no more tahoe. My company is giving me a car allowance starting nxt year and so this will give me decent (22 to 25) mpg and if i ever needed to tow the xj it has a towing cap of 7500 lbs.

hellbilly04 said:
That just sounds wrong Tony....

Hehehehe, or jajajajajaja.

Anyways, so if the deal goes through...planning on doing a 2.5" lift, 32" JK rubicon wheels and tires, and I am set!!

I drove that thing on the freeway from Riverside to Rancho and back....cruise set at 80, getting 24 mpg's! I love it!

I borrowed a 4WD 2007 one of those (yes, CRD), and used it to tow my red Comanche back from Reno. I rented a two axle u-haul trailer (surge brakes - that I'm not sure worked) and came down 395. Set cruise, and it pulled great. While in NV, pulled along at 70-75 like it wasn't even back there. I smoked the brakes coming down a long grade, but I think with electric trailer brakes it would be fine.

I know a dude that dyno'd one of them and it got like 405 ft-lbs at the wheels.

That CRD motor is awesome.

On the one I borrowed, I was only getting like 18 or 19, but it was almost new... like I got it with 3K miles on it, gave it beck with 5K... I'm not sure it was broke in yet.

I got to drive one early last year with 60K on it or something and the dude that let me borrow it told me he was getting like 17 towing his Jeep, and like 23-25 without.

I'd say get it Tony. Then let me take it for a spin. I love those 3.0 CRD motors. Not a huge fan of the Jeep its in... but the motor makes it bearable.

Love it!

I will pick this thing up tonight. I am loving it!!
over2land said:
I borrowed a 4WD 2007 one of those (yes, CRD), and used it to tow my red Comanche back from Reno. I rented a two axle u-haul trailer (surge brakes - that I'm not sure worked) and came down 395. Set cruise, and it pulled great. While in NV, pulled along at 70-75 like it wasn't even back there. I smoked the brakes coming down a long grade, but I think with electric trailer brakes it would be fine.

I know a dude that dyno'd one of them and it got like 405 ft-lbs at the wheels.

That CRD motor is awesome.

On the one I borrowed, I was only getting like 18 or 19, but it was almost new... like I got it with 3K miles on it, gave it beck with 5K... I'm not sure it was broke in yet.

I got to drive one early last year with 60K on it or something and the dude that let me borrow it told me he was getting like 17 towing his Jeep, and like 23-25 without.

I'd say get it Tony. Then let me take it for a spin. I love those 3.0 CRD motors. Not a huge fan of the Jeep its in... but the motor makes it bearable.

Back