• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clunking

89heepxj

NAXJA Forum User
okay when im in 4x4 there is clunking noise. it sounds like it is coming fromt he front axle. i asked my local shop guy what he thinks it may be. it only makes the clunking noise when pressure is on it as of goin up hill. he said it was my t-case chain or something like that and it would cost around 1300 to fix it. I just want to see some other diagnoses and the cost to fix them. it has really brought my spirits down since im in 4 almost 24/7 do to shitty road conditions and money is way tight right now. thanks everyone

Steven T.

$1300 for a new transfercase chain is a joke.

i believe the chain is less than $100.

check the front axle disconnect vacuum lines if you have the 231 case. could be losing vacuum and coming out of 4wd

i dont like to drive with something clunking. could it damagae something, possibly.

why dont you take a better look at the problem or take it to someone.

if it only happens in 4wd, dont use 4wd until you get it fixed. unless your on slippery roads, you dont need 4wd.

are you driving it around on paved roads with it in 4wd?

the 231 is for part time 4wd not full time.

Just another thought, but your transfer case linkage may be slightly out, allowing it the transfer case to jump between modes a bit, causing some clunking. Do a search for "linkage" or something and see what comes up. Also check your fluid level, you should be able to remove the top fill plug, stick your pinky in there--the fluid should be right below the fill plug hole.

$1300 sounds a bit steep..hell, I bought my whole jeep for only a couple hundred more! If you do need to get it repaired, take it to another shop, or source and a junkyard replacement (probably anywhere from $100-$300), and either replace it yourself or have shop do it. Either option is alot cheaper than what you were quoted!

well we looked at it closer today and it looks like either my axel is broken, the gears in front are bad or its the hub.. tomorrow we are going to take the diff cover off and check things out. then move to the hubs.

Mine does the same thing. Only when theres pressure on the gas or when braking in 4wd. Could have toasted some bearings too. Mines a 2000 so no vac.

Back