• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking to buy my second XJ...1987. What shoud I look out for?

firefight343

NAXJA Forum User
Okay here's the deal...I can't beat the price: $700, and I'm more than 90% sure I am buying it (due to this fact), I have yet to personally see the rig, but based on the description its worth every penny, and I can trust the seller. I have a 1984 with a bombed carb, and I'm kind of over it.

As stated its an '87 with the I-6 and 5-speed manual (the Peugeot if i remember correctly), a little over 270K miles. Lincoln lockers front and rear, 33's, Dana 30 disco up front/Dana 44 in rear, and a 4.5" lift thats settled to about 4".

I know that most of the XJ's in this era are prone to the rear main seal oil leak, but beyond that I don't really know what to look for. Any suggestions (what to look for upon inspection of body, engine, tranny, etc, and also what to look for during the test drive). i've searched but have yet to find something that tells of any recurring or persistent problems for this year/generation.

Rust in the floorboards, oil filter adapter leak (O-rings dry out)...I'd just check all the fluid levels and take it for a test drive...make sure 4wd and everything works....

Other than that, really, you cant beat $700 - you're getting 33s, a D44, good lift size....

X2 def the floor boards. Check the rocker panels too.

its been stated but whatever.

-rust. check over the muffler and over the cat for rust, rocker panels, rear quarters, driver side feet. crawl under and start poking the problem ares with a screwdriver :laugh3:

-i wouldnt worry too much about the oil filter adaptor leak, its a 5dollar part (3 o-rings) from a dealer and takes 15 minutes to replace on a renix (it has a hex bolt, not a torx). you might decide to swap in an HO adaptor for a larger choice in filter options

From a former owner of an 87 5spd XJ..... Others have already mentioned rust. On a 5spd of that era, it should have the peugeot tranny. If it needs an tranny overhaul, it'll probably be cheaper to swap to a different tranny (ax-15, nv3500 etc.) than to fix it, even though the swap is always more work then you think it will be. 87 has the internal slave cylinder, which can be trouble if the wrong fluid is used and is a real PIA to change (use only castrol LMA or ghirling fluid) I'd also check to see if the clutch master cylinder has leaked fluid onto the fuse panel on the INSIDE of the firewall. If it has been leaking onto the fuse panel for a while, you might need to change out the fuse panel (not trivial) since the fluid will eat up both the box and the wiring. Check the upper corners of the tailgate for cracks. The tailgate wiper motors like to seize up. Check the plastic football looking coolant resevoir for cracks, or signs that it has been leaking. The closed cooling system on these years can be problematic, but is easily converted to open. Power windows and doorlocks could be getting tired on an 87. In general in a modified rig, I'd look closely at the work that has already been done. Buying a rig that's already been lifted etc. is the least expensive route, but you also inheret all of their shortcuts, band-aids and oopses. Sounds like a great deal, you probably can't lose on the deal, but just check some things to see if the frustration you feel for the 84 is just going to carry over to the 87.

Thank you all so much, and sorry for the late reply (out of town for early holiday stuff). I really can't tell yall how much I appreciate it. The rust is something that I will definitely be checking for, but the clutch MC fluid and wiper motors. Glad to be back in the Jeep family :)

Back