• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

clunking after transfer case drop removal?

tribaltalon

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 97 xj with a 6 inch rustys lift kit on, porc sye and cv rear driveshaft. i decided to take off the transfer case drop to see if it would improve my drivetrain angles now that i have an sye. indeed, it doesnt seem to vibrate as much. however, now there is a loud clunking/rattling noise coming from the floorboard. it is most prevalent when i stop, and goes away for the most part if i shift into neutral (aw4) i cant figure out what it could be, and why it would stop or start depending on if it is in park or drive or neutral. it isnt a continous clunk; it sometimes does it for a while and then goes away and sometimes keeps doing it. any ideas?

look at your exhaust maybe its loose.
Another possibility is your tranny mount is shot.....while you had the t-case drop on it maybe it was sortof putting your tranny mount under slight tension and now that you got rid of the drop you are noticing it???

edit:beat me to it!!Great minds think alike!!!

Last edited:
okay i guess ill have to pull the cross member and replace the transmission mount, i really hope thats it. i know its not the exhaust, thats what i thought at first too but it doesnt move at all.

Back