• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

some questions about 4wd and u joints

the_bandit87

NAXJA Forum User
first thing is my green 4wd warning light on my 87 with an NP231 just stopped working yesterday, it used to go on but not anymore it seems to me the jeep is still going into 4wd but there is a chance it may not be. I was wondering where the switch was that makes the indicator light up, might just be a burnt out bulb too, but it did o]work yesterday. Lately I am thinking my U joints are going bad. When in 4wd I get a snap-crackle-and-pop from the front right, and it does a little shimmy when I put the jeep in reverse. I was just wondering what the typical cost was for U-joints, and how diffucult it is to do the front ones (I think I'm going to need a slide hammer)

Snap,crackle pop Is the sound of the U-joint on its way to the graveyard.

US XJs used a green light for full-time 4wd, and a yellow one for part time. The NP231 is the part-time 4wd case. But seeing you are a Canuck, I'm not sure if it is the same..... The switch however is located on the outside of the t-case. You will see one set of wiring going into the case. That is is the switch that operates the lights.

My ujoints were about $25 a piece(HD ones with a grease zerk). You don't want to use a slide hammer to get the hub off. You will risk pulling it apart rather than getting it off. Do a search for hub removals here. There are LOTS of threads about it.....

whats u joints did u use and where did u get them ... mine are on their way out as well ...

the_bandit87 said:
first thing is my green 4wd warning light on my 87 with an NP231 just stopped working yesterday, it used to go on but not anymore it seems to me the jeep is still going into 4wd but there is a chance it may not be. I was wondering where the switch was that makes the indicator light up, might just be a burnt out bulb too, but it did o]work yesterday. Lately I am thinking my U joints are going bad. When in 4wd I get a snap-crackle-and-pop from the front right, and it does a little shimmy when I put the jeep in reverse. I was just wondering what the typical cost was for U-joints, and how diffucult it is to do the front ones (I think I'm going to need a slide hammer)

I used to have a 87 with a 242T C that lit the green lite when engaged in FT. You also have the 242 not a 231 if you get a green light.
One source of aggravation with my 87 was that the U Joints didn't last very long.
It uses the earlier 260 U Joints that are smaller and weaker. If you can replace the axleshafts with shafts that take the newer 297/760-x joints you will not have to worry about them for a very long time.
If not, get the best quality replacement U Joints that you can find.

JeepinCoastie said:
whats u joints did u use and where did u get them ... mine are on their way out as well ...

O'Rielly Auto Parts. Precision Brand. They have two versions one without a zerk and one with. These are the 260x joints. Haven't had any problems with them, in any of the Jeeps I've used them in.

I can assure you its an NP 231 Command Trac part time case. Those prices are not too bad, I think I am going to do the u joints on the rear drive shaft too because of the shimmy when I put it in reverse. I figured just as much with the U joints clanging and banging. As far as the light goes, its a green light in the shape of a drive train (front axle, front drive shaft, transfercase, rear drive shaft, rear axle). I have some exhaust hanger work coming up anyways so next time I am under there I am going to go and take a look at the transfer case for the switch.

try going through a shop for the spicer ujoints. I can get mine through work. but I work at a huge place known for specific work on big trucks and they have a really good thing going with spicer. that is if you want factory replacement ones with out going through the stealership.

Around here, Toledo, four-wheel drive shops are the most expensive places to get anything. I get all my axle u-joints online since the offroad shops usually charge almost twice as much.

Back