• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Damn MTR sidewalls

mattyj

NAXJA Forum User
I know this might be better in "mod Tech", but id rather hear from the JV regulars...
I seem to be having problems with tearing MTR sidewalls, second one today in my last 3 trips.
So whats the deal with them, am i running too low a pressure???? 9psi today. Or are they just not up to JV abuse?
Im thinking of going to something else if thats just what they do. Maybe Crawlers or Krawlers??

I ran my MTRs out there a lot and never had any problems with them. A little chunking here and there but never a cut sidewall.

Pottenger is probaby still running those tires on his (my old) XJ.

Spinning the tires will cut them down faster than anything else I've seen.

mattyj said:
I know this might be better in "mod Tech", but id rather hear from the JV regulars...
I seem to be having problems with tearing MTR sidewalls, second one today in my last 3 trips.
So whats the deal with them, am i running too low a pressure???? 9psi today. Or are they just not up to JV abuse?
Im thinking of going to something else if thats just what they do. Maybe Crawlers or Krawlers??

Creepys Rock.......SANTA

mattyj said:

I seem to remember having a quick conversation in Truck Haven with you EARLY this year about what pieces of $h!t I felt they were.....
I can't bad mouth them enough.... DURA WALL :sure:
It's funny though.... rocks were the one place I felt they worked well....
While I'm not a J.V. regular.... I'm not a MTR fan either.... that's my 5 cents.
HEY !!! maybe it's your accent.... they don't understand where you want them to go.......:cheers:

Good Luck....
Curt

Matty, sounds like you are looking for a excuse to move up to the Kralwers....

Just do it!! Hahahaha, Also, I must agree with Santa...the Creepy Crawlers look like one mean tire!

I think Stoddard is worse on tires. Just about all tires will see side wall problems at either place.

The Creepies seem to be doing well so far. I have a few cuts that seem to be pretty deep, but I have never had to plug one yet.

I hit a rock at speed. Destroyed the rim. The Creepie didn't have any marks on it.

--ron

I hate mtr's they suck in mud sand and the side walls are crap. I have had the best luck with swampers and bfg's but I have been looking to build a rig for some 38 inch creepys

The whole issue of sidewall toughness has changed over time........the bar has defintely moved. When MTR's came out they were pretty tough, compared to what was out before that, and they had real good grip, compared to what was out before that. For a tire that works well on the street, for toughness, traction and overall performance, I think the MTR is still one of the best out there, if not the best.

As far as sidewall toughness, there are better tires, but none of them are nice to drive on the street. Creepies are mega tough, with good bite, but terrible on the street. Claw's are tough as nails, but the regulars don't bite and they're not too good on the street, and the comp compound can't be run on the street. Krawlers are tough and bite good, but you can't run the red labels on the street and the blue labels are average bite, and while they're tougher than MTR's many guys still cut them in the rocks. The various Swamper bias plies are tough, but who wants to run TSL's or SX's on the street, and Irok's have average bite and average sidewall toughness. Everything else out there is comperable to the MTR or worse.

I've worn out a set of 35" MTR's and a set of 37" MTR's, and in that time I cut one of them, one of the 35's. And I've run them in the rocks constantly. But, others that I run with have cut them more. Unless you have TSL's, SX's, Creepies, or bias Claw's, you're going to cut a tire now and then. It comes down mostly to good or bad luck, and to some degree how careful you are picking lines and keeping an eye out for pointy rocks.....which also many times comes down to luck.

If you drive your rig on the street, if it was me, I'd stick with the MTR's unless you're past having even halfway decent street performance and just want a tougher tire.

JMHO.

Oh, and I wouldn't be caught dead running any BFG's (other than red label Krawlers), I've cut so many of them that they'll never be on one of my rigs again.

Last edited:
Hmmmm, good food for thought guys. Thanks.

Im at the point where it is a trail only rig but currently still gets driven to and from the trails. Im not overly concerned with great street performance as much as i am for something that can stand up to the wheeling i like to do. So let me think.............

Anyone know a place to find creepies at a good price? :D

Goatman said:
The whole issue of sidewall toughness has changed over time........the bar has defintely moved. When MTR's came out they were pretty tough, compared to what was out before that, and they had real good grip, compared to what was out before that. For a tire that works well on the street, for toughness, traction and overall performance, I think the MTR is still one of the best out there, if not the best.

As far as sidewall toughness, there are better tires, but none of them are nice to drive on the street. Creepies are mega tough, with good bite, but terrible on the street. Claw's are tough as nails, but the regulars don't bite and they're not too good on the street, and the comp compound can't be run on the street. Krawlers are tough and bite good, but you can't run the red labels on the street and the blue labels are average bite, and while they're tougher than MTR's many guys still cut them in the rocks. The various Swamper bias plies are tough, but who wants to run TSL's or SX's on the street, and Irok's have average bite and average sidewall toughness. Everything else out there is comperable to the MTR or worse.

I've worn out a set of 35" MTR's and a set of 37" MTR's, and in that time I cut one of them, one of the 35's. And I've run them in the rocks constantly. But, others that I run with have cut them more. Unless you have TSL's, SX's, Creepies, or bias Claw's, you're going to cut a tire now and then. It comes down mostly to good or bad luck, and to some degree how careful you are picking lines and keeping an eye out for pointy rocks.....which also many times comes down to luck.

If you drive your rig on the street, if it was me, I'd stick with the MTR's unless you're past having even halfway decent street performance and just want a tougher tire.

JMHO.

Oh, and I wouldn't be caught dead running any BFG's (other than red label Krawlers), I've cut so many of them that they'll never be on one of my rigs again.

FORD vs CHEVY.... Standard vs Auto. the debate will never end.

Curt

Classified forum on Pirate. :)

Xtreme XJ said:
IHEY !!! maybe it's your accent.... they don't understand where you want them to go.......:cheers:

Good Luck....
Curt

C'mon there matey, jeez ya know im still speakin english & it aint that bloody ard to work out what im blabbin on about....crickey cobba! You'd think those flamin tyres would just stick like shit to blanket and not be handin out the grief like they are! :wierd:

:D

mattyj said:
C'mon there matey, jeez ya know im still speakin english & it aint that bloody ard to work out what im blabbin on about....crickey cobba! You'd think those flamin tyres would just stick like shit to blanket and not be handin out the grief like they are! :wierd:

Yeah..... that's what I meant to say......:confused1

Curt

mattyj said:
Hmmmm, good food for thought guys. Thanks.

Im at the point where it is a trail only rig but currently still gets driven to and from the trails. Im not overly concerned with great street performance as much as i am for something that can stand up to the wheeling i like to do. So let me think.............

Anyone know a place to find creepies at a good price? :D

If you can find a buddy who works @ a tire shop then you can get them w/o a big time mark up

When ZJMikey hooked me up with a set of Maxxis Big Horns I was suprised to find a sidewall that had a real thin 'bead.'

But to this date I have not cut one down.

As they say, good drivers NEVER cut a tire.

Back