• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Input shaft? leak

TheWarWagon

NAXJA Forum User
This is on an '89 AW4/242 4.0 w/210k miles. Alright, this may be a super noob question but it's driving me nuts. Yes, I did a search. Two weeks ago, I pulled my driveshaft to put new u-joints in. After installing it, and driving it home I noticed a leak coming out of the transfer case. I drove it for about an hour last weekend, and when I parked it the fluid just oozed out. Changed the atf, and that made no difference. So what's really going on here, and how bad is my wallet going to hurt?

You probably damaged the Tcase output shaft seal while re-installing the slip yoke. That seal is pretty easy to change I believe. Next time make sure the slip yoke is clean (clean it off with Brakleen or Carb Cleaner, then wipe it dry with a rag), and go EASY while sliding it in. Yep...that's what she said :D

Back