• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swaping to a stand alone harness??

ponyracer1

NAXJA Forum User
Well I have an 01 XJ that I'm considering pulling the engine/tranny out of for use in my 1ton YJ project. I'll be running a D300 so thats not a concern.

My question is, can you get rid of ALOT of the wiring on an 01? My initial thought is no because the comp controls the alt voltage, distributorless ign, coil on plug etc.

Basically I'd like to have a MINIMAL harness that would control the EFI and thats it. I'd like to swap to an earlier comp that has a dist, and one that has the early Alt so you can run a hi output cheap.

Or maybe loose the efi all together?? Sealed dist and an offy with a small 4 barrel??

Possible or not worth the trouble??

i've heard that carbs can give you trouble in off-camber situations, but as i'm EFI'd, i wouldn't know personally.

XJ trannys are all electronically controlled, so you'd have to go to a hydrostatic model (700r4/th350?) or rig up a manual-only shifter.

the prob with trying to run JUST an EFI harness is, you'd have to either use the stock ECU (that needs many sensor inputs to function, or extensive chipping to cover up) or a stand-alone EMS (does anyone make these for XJs?)

i think you could get past a lot of obstacles, but is it worth the effort? i'd think that using an OBD1 ('91-'96) ECU and routing your wires efficiently would be your best bet, but i've never dealt with wiring a jeep.

re-wired plenty of civics/tegs, but the japanese set their cars up intuitively, so i'd be lost on american cars :D

You could go with a after market efi for a AMC 258 eng. you might have to do a little mods but it would work. and than you could also use the distribetor, alternator, and tranny.

Back