• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

All out MJ

97XJ2

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, here's my idea, put an MJ on D60's and put a big diesel in it with an appropriate tranny. Esentially make it heavy duty like a full size pick up, strengthen the frame and whatnot too. What kinda of diesel do people think would fit and if its a newer (Idk how much they run but Detroit Diesel make a "little" 7.4L inline 6) one does someone make standalone controllers for them? Just a idea running around in my head, feel free to bash.

i've seen the 4bt cummins four cylinder swapped in. i don't know your knowledge of diesels but its a 12v cummins in the early 90's late 80's dodge with two cylinders missing.
i'm planning on doin this to another comanche myself.

you can't do that to the comanche without removing the cab from the unibody frame.

your best bet is to start form an existing frame (best bet cummins/dodge frame) with the correct wheel base and simply lay the comanche "cab" on it. you won't get anything larger than a 4bt cummins (or 6bt if you make it a real tight fit) to fit in that engine bay to be honest. it's just too small.

...I build comanches btw, and have looked into this swap. it's difficult and best done with just a 4bt/6bt cummins swap

Ok wells its just an idea I have, I just think a diesel would be neat and unconventional (thats how I think, unconventional, hence my '80 Olds Cutlass that will get Olds power instead of just dropping in chev power that and its a "ugly" g-body) of course if you were to go with gas power, I'm sure a 360 would be a tight fit.

jeepcomj, were you located? I'm in wisco too, got any for sale?

Strengthen the frame? Since when is Unibody a frame?

Good luck getting it strong enough to support the power of a diesel.

with plating and just general reenforcement, I know it be a tricky task but there are ways to do it, good thing my best friend is also a very good fabricator

97XJ2 said:
with plating and just general reenforcement, I know it be a tricky task but there are ways to do it, good thing my best friend is also a very good fabricator
hope he's real good, the 6bt weighs upwards of 1000 lbs

Well its an idea, I think I'd have more problems finding a J than a MJ around here

97, I'm in southeast wisconsin (burlington). right now none for sale but in the next 4 months I'll have one done to sell...it's a 87 shortbed 2wd now and will be 4wd 4.0 auto when I'm done.

as for diesel MJ, it was also done from factory. my dad's DD (and hoping it'll be mine to restore soon) is a 1986 MJ with a factory 2.1 Renault Turbo Diesel, ax5 5 speed with np207 t-case and amc20 rear axle with 4.10 gearing. they're not fast, and they have alot of problems burning through starters (we have a backup for when it goes bad, then have it rebuilt). gas mileage has been 35mpg with it unloaded grandpa driving, and he never gets less than 25mpg except now...there is a crack in the second precup chamber that goes to the water passages in the head. we have a brand new spare motor for it that will go in once I find a nice box to restore it with.

and yes, the 4bt swap has been done on an MJ. the 4bt can make hella power if done right. were I you, I'd settle for that swap, it's actually do-able.

plating frames on xj's and mj's is NOT a new thing people, when it's done correctly it's sturdy. slow down on negative criticism, this guy is thinking outside the box and that's a great thing :yelclap:

Ok if you were to look under your XJ, which I'm sure you have, you have things that may represent frame rails, though not technically frame rails.

TNT sells: http://www.tntcustoms.com/webv5/xjstiffeners.asp
http://www.tntcustoms.com/webv5/xjarmor.asp
Though this is a skid it ties in the 'rails'

http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=932148 This guy is/was plating his front "frame rails" and there's one other link out there about welding plate to the front rails to stiffen it.

My only point was things like this can be done to reinforce the unibody

Back