• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power steering box leak - input seal

what year is your xj, i will get you a part number. you will probably need to drop the steering box, but its not very hard to do. PM me

Got part # 8525 from Autozone $7. dropped box w/o removing pitman arm. Have wheels straight ahead, remove pinch bolt on ujoint, remove block at end of box on core support. take off hoses (replace hoses NOW if hard or mushy) after removing frame bolts- easier to get at. Need snap ring pliers for clip holding dust boot and seal in. You may be able to replace seal and dust boot w/o taking box apart - uses lock ring on outside and pin wrench on inside- this adjusts preload/tension on bearings/shaft. I marked it before and left it the same. I wanted to replace the oring on this part, kit came with boot, seal, snap ring and seal.
***********IMPORTANT***********
When to try to put seal in, the part of shaft that it rides on has a VERY sharp edge, I cut a piece of clear hard thin plastic off (Alot of stuff has this clear packaging now, from q-tips to electronics- oil it and use it as a cone to slide seal over edge of shaft - be careful of the spines too, they are also sharp.
Push seal in, pull plastic out.

Use care to get steering wheel straight and box lined up, spines will only go one one spot-on flat.

No leaks, $10 repair with PS fluid!!!

Back