• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil pump priming required after RMS?

smcdonaldaz

NAXJA Forum User
I just changed my RMS today. I read in a post that a guy pulled his distributor, stuck a screwdriver in a drill and turned the pump until he saw good pressure. Is this required? I've not seen that mentioned in any of the RMS writups.

RMS???? im asuming rear main seal. i wouldnt think you would need to, i have never done it, only on brand new rebuilt motors on the first start or motors that have been sitting for a LONG, LONG time! just make sure ya got oil in it and fire it up

When i did mine, it wouldnt prime itslef, dont know why but it did happen.
I had to take the oil filter off and pour oil into the filter housing, and then all was well.

It's been a while since I did mine, but it primed readily enough. It's never a bad idea to do it anyway, but of course you'll also have to re-index the distributor then. I'd be inclined just to pull the coil wire and crank it without starting for a little while to prime it a little before it starts.

Matthew Currie said:
It's been a while since I did mine, but it primed readily enough. It's never a bad idea to do it anyway, but of course you'll also have to re-index the distributor then. I'd be inclined just to pull the coil wire and crank it without starting for a little while to prime it a little before it starts.

You beat me there, but exactly. Just crank it over for 30 seconds 2 times, with 1 min inbetween.

Foolowed your suggestion and it worked like a charm! First go didn't give me any pressure on the guage and I was a bit worried. 25 seconds into the second round if popped right up! thanks for your help!

Back