• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grinding At Idle Position

RªMB°

NAXJA Forum User
I Changed The Idler Pulley And Hamonic Balancer Today Because I Heard A Faint Grinding Noise. I Still hear It And Cant Figure Out Where Its Coming From. When I Look Into The Engine Block And Pulleys I Cant Hear It, But When Im In The Cab it Sounds Like Its Right Underneath Me. Any Ideas?

I Tightened All The Exhaust Bolts Today And Found None Loose. It Has That Grinding Noise When The Jeep Is In Idle Or At Stop Signs, Street Lights, Traffic, Etc.

The Tranny Was Bone Dry...Dont Ask How, But Was. I Added 2 Quartz Pennzoil Dexron lll/Mercon And The Noise Greatly Died Down, But My Logic Tells Me It Wasnt Just This. Can A Loose Serpentine Belt Cause It.

I Dont Know I Didnt Crack The Plug, But After School Today I Checked It And It Was Right Where It Was Suppose To Be, But I Still Hear That Grinding Sound. Can A Loose Serpentine Screw With The Motor Mounts?

check the p/s pump shaft bearing. mine started randomly grinding/screeching right before it spit the side cover and half the balls out. from inside it sounded like it was coming from somewhere down by my feet.

Will I Need A New P/S Pump Or Just A Bearing?

i'm sure with the proper tools you could replace just the bearing, but it would probably be a huge pita. a rebuilt pump is reasonably cheap and easy to replace. i could plainly see my bearing was shot, if you can't tell visually, try the old "listening-with-a-piece-of-hose" trick.

Ill Get On It Wednesday Have School From 630AM Till 1000PM Tomorrow So Im SOL For Now.

I Pulled The Serpentine Belt And Spun All The Pulleys By Hand. Noise Came From The Alternator And The AC Pump. The AC Pump Sounds Like Ball Bearing Rolling Around In It And The Alternator Produces Quite A Bit More Noise. Which One Of The Two Is It?

If you are planning on replacing the AC pump consider just putting in an extra idle pulley. It costs a lot less if you don't mind not having any AC. It would even give you a tiny bit more mileage I think...

I Need The AC For The Ca 100° Weather Durin The Summers. Ive Came To The Conclusion That My 4.0 Is On Its Last Leg And Probably Will Die Within 75k-100k More Miles Since It Has 206513 On It. I Wanna Put A 4.9L Stroker Into It Than Ill Have 0 Motor Maintainence For Awhile Being.

Back