• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny fluid change ?'s

irish636

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 99 xj 5speed. it has 220k on it. it shifts pretty decent but now that its getting closer its getting a little harder. i was going to use royal purple since thats what i put in my diffs? what are ur guys opinions? should i use something different? thanks guys

what ever you do dont put motor oil in it, some jack ass on here told my friend to use 10w-30 in his ax-15 and the bearings went out less than 100 miles later and this clown works for a jeep dealer so he should have known better.

Royal purple should be fine although my experince with it is nill. Make sure you use the correct oil weight rating because I've read on here many times of guys burning out the bearings due too some reaction with the oil and the bronze of the bearings. (bushings whatever)

Make sure you get either a GL-3 or GL-3 compatible synthetic. GL-5 is not correct, it is corrosive to your synchros.

I'm not completely familiar with the RP products... But I know that AMSOIL offers a specific manual tranny fluid that meets the GL-4 spec.

Back