• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

headlight switch problem

scorpio_vette

NAXJA Forum User
i had to remove the headlight knob today to drill a small hole through the dash trip for a switch i was installing. when i pushed the little headlight knob back in i turned on my headlights to make sure that it was still working, and noticed that at the 1/2 mark when the marker lights are supposed to come on, it doesn't do anything, and at full on, my dash lights don't work anymore.

if i pull back slowly and stop just before the 1/2 mark, the marker lights and the dash lights work, but not at the 1/2 or full mark. so the only thing that is still functioning on the switch are the headlights.

i was wondering if there is anything on/in the switch i can look at and fix it, or if i should just get a new headlight switch???

I just replaced mine with one from NAPA. I was surprised by how inexpensive it was. As I recall around $20+ dollars. Of course I'm comparing that to an RX-7 that had the flip-up headlights. That one cost over $300 and was only a dealer part. I ended up getting it at the junkyard for $200 and feeling lucky.

Last edited:
i would just go ahead and replace the switch. it isn't all that uncommon to see the bit that closes the parking light and interior light circuit go out, and it couldn't hurt to have a new switch. it's cheap and easy, though kind of time-consuming and annoying for what it is.

you might want to, just for good measure, check the fuse panel near the brake pedal, and check out the 15 amp fuse for those lights. it's an ATC size if i recall the terminology correctly, and both of my XJs blow that fuse now and again for reasons i'm still trying to figure out. (about to do a search, glad you asked and reminded me)

ok i'm pissed.

i didn't check the fuse because like i said, the dash lights came on right between off and marker lights. so i figured if there is power, then the fuse can't be bad. so i bought a new headlight switch and installed it. but it was still doing the same thing. so i checked the fuse, and it was bad. so i put the new fuse in and everything works fine. i tried to take the switch back, but they don't return electrical parts. so that stupid fuse cost me $15.

why would the dash lights work between the off and 1/2 mark if the fuse was blown??? if the fuse is blown there shouldn't be any power period right???

oh well everything is working fine now, and i'll just put the headlight switch in my parts bin.

scorpio_vette said:
ok i'm pissed.

i didn't check the fuse because like i said, the dash lights came on right between off and marker lights. so i figured if there is power, then the fuse can't be bad. so i bought a new headlight switch and installed it. but it was still doing the same thing. so i checked the fuse, and it was bad. so i put the new fuse in and everything works fine. i tried to take the switch back, but they don't return electrical parts. so that stupid fuse cost me $15.

why would the dash lights work between the off and 1/2 mark if the fuse was blown??? if the fuse is blown there shouldn't be any power period right???

oh well everything is working fine now, and i'll just put the headlight switch in my parts bin.

sounds to me like there would be just enough resistance (or whatever u wanna call it), even tho the fuse was blown, to make a somewhat shoddy connection.

Back