• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

33's and locked or 35's and open

33's and locked front or 35's and open front

• 33x10.5 boggers with front aussie

Votes: 74 94.9%
  • 35x10.5 boggers open front diff

Votes: 5 6.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

trailbound xj

NAXJA Forum User
well it's time for trail tires . I can't decide on going with 33x10.5's with a front locker (probally going to be an aussie, rear is already locked) , or leaving the dana 30 open and going with 35x10.5's ( both tires are going to be boggers). rig see's mostly east coast wooded type trails , but I do like play on the rocks as much as I can. running 34 ltb's right now (roll out is really 33.6").just looking to see what other people would do

trailbound xj said:
well it's time for trail tires . I can't decide on going with 33x10.5's with a front locker (probally going to be an aussie, rear is already locked) , or leaving the dana 30 open and going with 35x10.5's ( both tires are going to be boggers). rig see's mostly east coast wooded type trails , but I do like play on the rocks as much as I can. running 34 ltb's right now (roll out is really 33.6").just looking to see what other people would do
IMHO lockers over tire size.

I have nowhere near as much experience as a lot of the people here but from running 35's on open diffs on east coast trails I can lend my $.02. I have definitely found myself wishing I had a locker more often than bigger tires to get through stuff in the trail. My jeep does go pretty well with open diffs tho, last time I went up ma belle (we call it jeepeater) in MA there were 2 wrangler clubs up there wheeling. I watched 3 or 4 locked wranglers get stuck and end up winching on one obstacle. It tooke me 5 tries but I got up it no problem with a good spotter and my 35's and completely stock axles. At the top they were all asking me what I was running for axles and diffs.

The diff between a 33 inch tire and a 35 inch tire is one inch ground clearance.

From my wheeling experience I haven't been on too many trails where a 35 made that much differece then a 33.

Lockers will always make a huge difference though.

locking your axles is by far superior to having larger tires. my buddy is only locked in the rear with 35's and im locked front and rear with 32's (currently) and make it through the same if not more than him. it just depends on how skilled you are. a good driver can navigate a trail with 33's better than an inexperienced driver in a full buggy...(well maybe not a full buggy but you get my point)

DrMoab said:
The diff between a 33 inch tire and a 35 inch tire is one inch ground clearance.

From my wheeling experience I haven't been on too many trails where a 35 made that much differece then a 33.

Lockers will always make a huge difference though.

also, when you go to 35's, you may experience otehr issues - steering, braking, breaking, etc... most guys that go to 35's will upgrade to alloy axles, HD steering, different brakes, and HD u-joints... of course, nto everyone does. There are folks out there running 35's on stock parts with no issues..

I recommend 33's with a selectable locker....

Good luck!

adding to the debate,
locker with smaller tires, you can stay away from the skinny pedal as much, which can result in less breakage.
no locker, bigger tires, more gas and when one spinning tire does catch... chances of breakage rise aswell.

before I locked my front I was prone to gassing it to make it thru what my buddies were trying, never thought of it than, but looknig back now it was luck that I never broke anything.
now being locked I can finesse more, at slower speeds to get thru what I want too.

that being said, i broke a u-joint with a front aussie, but that was my own stupid mistake.

35's and locked the difference in the price of the tires can be too huge. I'm looking @ new tires BF mudders again and the difference in price between the 2 is $9 a tire so I'm gonna try 35's and a aussie in the rear

thanks for all the responses. got the aussie ordered , now just have to order the tires.thanks again

I would definately look at doing a front and rear re-gear, if not done already, for anything over 32". Good choice on the locker...

krelja said:
35's and locked the difference in the price of the tires can be too huge. I'm looking @ new tires BF mudders again and the difference in price between the 2 is $9 a tire so I'm gonna try 35's and a aussie in the rear
which rear axle run running?

beakie said:
adding to the debate,
locker with smaller tires, you can stay away from the skinny pedal as much, which can result in less breakage.
no locker, bigger tires, more gas and when one spinning tire does catch... chances of breakage rise aswell.
before I locked my front I was prone to gassing it to make it thru what my buddies were trying, now being locked I can finesse more, at slower speeds to get thru what I want too.
stupid mistake.

I second this, I have locked front and rear this year and I dont have to gas it hard to get up and over anylonger...BIG advantage..get the locker
I run 33s

Back