• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rust Spot Kinda?

98XJSport

Destiny is the rising sun
Ok Ive got this spot on my XJ, appeared over the summer. Its not rust through, like I expected. Its almost like the paint just... fell off? Any thoughts on a fix besides a bodyshop? I was contemplating doing rhino liner up to the top of the bumper endcaps, but if it is rust will this just cover it up for a few years until it's a huge problem that I will have regretted fixing?

P1010431.jpg

P1010432.jpg

Any advice, or to the body shop I go?

Any thoughts as to what would cause the paint to just... fall off? Maybe a crack in the paint let water in, or something?

its not really that rare...you live in a state that snows...city throws salt on the roads...salt eats metal...

it probably started as a lil rust bubble and grew

stop it now in its infancy, I had the same,after repairing the outside, I pulled both rear inner quarter trim panels, lifted the rear of the xj on the hoist and shot about a half liter of liquid rustproof in to the inner quarters and in front of the wheel tubs, it runs right down into the rockers.

steelmen said:
its not really that rare...you live in a state that snows...city throws salt on the roads...salt eats metal...
I never would have gotten the connection ;)

I know what causes it, but usually on vehicles up here its eaten through pretty much everything, not like this is. Last rust spot on a vehicle you could put your fist through it after a year...

rust starts small. they don't "usually" appear as fist size holes overnight. but i'm sure you know that too. LOL (sorry couldn't help it)

anyways, it probably found a chip under the flare or somewhere, or even came through from the rear. once the "grip" between the primer/paint and the metal was corroded, there wasn't anything holding the paint off. then just the right deflection or bump and your paint disapeared. fix it now and fix it right or it'll get much worse. then again i'm sure if you look underneat with a microscope you'll find alot more that will get scarry quickly.

Last jeep I had, the paint was the only thing covering the rust holes :roll: You would touch a bubble, and your finger would go through cause there wasn't really any metal on the other side. Thats why this one strikes me as odd, complete opposite of what Im used to:dunno: Looks like an excuse to rhino line up to the trim to me :cheers:

This is a common problem in a common spot. Fortunately it is not rust through (yet) but rust creeping in, probably from a flaw where the gravel guard coating has separated from the metal at its inner edge. You don't usually see these rust spots until they're pretty severe, because the gravel guard is very thick, and the rust is able to bloom there unnoticed. Suddenly when it's bad enough, the paint falls off and you see the damage.

No, no bondo or evidence of prior damage.

What rust on my wheels?

:jester: They are my old stock rims with my snow tires on them, just throw them on for the winter since the rust is unavoidable.

Pic from a couple hours before I swapped tires...
P1010416.jpg

Catch it now b-4 it spreads. I'd check behind the fender flare too. A little sanding or blasting, some Zero Rust . There is a seam there where the rocker meets the "dog leg", almost looks like something hit it, probably a moose fly....lol

Blaine B. said:
The rocker panels are hollow. It probably rusted from the inside-out.....then the paint fell off because it had nothing to hold on to.
It could be, but I don't think so in this case. Look at it closely. I think the rust got in on an edge and worked under the gravel guard until the bubble was big enough to fall off. But it's not rust through, at least where it shows. It's pretty common when you have a hard plastic undercoating or gravel guard coating and an edge opens up. It would probably be a good idea here to check the other rocker panel at the forward edge under the flare, and along the bottom seams, to make sure more of the same isn't happening there.

Yeah it's definately not rust through, the metal is solid but rust colored. It is literally like the paint just fell off.

Back