• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

temp gauge

sandman76

NAXJA Forum User
i swapped motors in my 96 cherokee and now the temp gauge does not work. t work before the swap. I replaced the sensor on the themostat house because i though that was the sensor for the gauge but i think that ones for elect. fan switch. does anyone know anything about this?

thanks troy

you want the sender, not the sensor. the sender is on the driver side of the block in the very back of the engine next to the valve cover. check it good, cus it might look alright but be cracked and not work. thats what happened to me. the one on the thermostat housing is a sensor for the computer for coolant temp.

well i went out to the garage and looked the sender for the the temp gauge. iand i don't have anything there. my cherokee is a 96 but i put a 98 motor in it. all i did was swap out the sensor from the old motor to the new one. everything else worked good.

Blaine B. said:
96 has 2 sensors.

The one on the rear of the head is for the guage.

The one on the thermostat housing is for fuel mixture and the electric fan.

He needs to know where the sender is on a 98 I can't begin to tell him as I'm a Renix guy, not a H.O. guy.

97+ have only one sensor on the thermostat housing. It controls the gauge, electric fan, and fuel mixture.

Renix has 3, as you're probably well aware.

Sorry, I didn't catch the part about him swapping in a 98 motor. That's my bad.

I dunno what he's going to have to do with the wiring in order to get his temp gauge to work, since it has that extra plug left over. He can't simply wire it to the sensor in the thermostat housing. 97+ get their gauge signal straight from the PCM.........

You have three wires for what?

Like I said, 97+ (97, 98, 99, 2000, 2001) only have one sensor, on the thermostat housing, which controls the fan, fuel mixture, and gauge.

You would still have issues with your gauge. I'm not sure if the PCM is different, or if you'd need to find another way to wire your temp gauge through the PCM.

Back