• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Custom rock slider / welder question

jonnywong

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking for some advice on fabricating some custom rock sliders for my 2 door xj. I want to install some rock sliders that, in additon to being rock sliders they also replace the factory rocker panel (mine is shot). I would like to do this job myself but im pretty much a noob at welding and do not own a welder, although it has occured to me that such a tool would be very useful.

So, what type of budget welder would get this job done and possibly some future xj projects such as bumpers, etc..? Any input on this would be great, thanks in advance.

truly i dont think a budget welder would be your best bet. If your going to eventually fabricate a good amount of things, i would just spend the money and get a decent 220V lincoln, miller, or hobart. Might as well do it right the first time and not buy the same thing twice...
just my .02

I have a lincoln weld-pak 175HD from Home Depot that works great for everything i've welded on my jeep (claims to weld up to 5/16th inch) and it runs around $600.

I didn't have access to 220v so I went with a millermatic 140 and it it fine up to a 1/4 inch as long as I use flux core. I will get a better machine but if you do go with a 110v machine get a good one cuz there is a big difference between them, much more than the 220 variety. Flux core also means chipping slag and more grinding but it is what it is.

Yeah a lot more slag, crap and things to have to clean flying everywhere, i have flux to blame for the hundreds of little holes in my trunk carpet.

(actually i have myself to blame for not putting down the welding blanket oops)

If your looking at mig's then buy the best welder you can afford, then save your self the money by not buying the bottles and gas. Just use flux core wire. Just know it is a lot sloppyer, a lot hotter, and a lot harder to lay down good dimes.
You may also look at arc welders.
Id be searching ebay to find the best deal.

If you have a good welder (or any welder that accepts it for that matter) why wouldnt you use a bottle? Seems kinda point less to buy something expensive and have it produce crappy burns, be very sloppy, and harder to work with...

Hobart handler 187, on northerntool.com for under $700

There is no such thing as a budget welder.

You'll be better off in the long run to figure out how big of a welder you need to do what you want now, then buy one 150% bigger.

I originally figured a 150 would work, but got a 210, and I am glad I did now, as there have been times I needed more than a 150 would have put out.

Buying a 'budget' welder is like tryign to use 1" dom for a link cuz it's cheaper, when you really need 1 1/2" dom. Sooner or later, your gonna need to go bigger.

there is no replacement for a 220 or even 480 welder for that matter I can run good beads with flux core or with the bottle. Not everyone has 220 so do the best with what you can but be aware that there are alot of 110v welders that wont even do 3/16

Check out the article on buying a welder in the new JP magazine. While I agree that using a cheap welder isn't the best idea, my Harbor Freight flux-core welder has done pretty well. I've had to fiddle with the wire-feed mechanism several times, but otherwise, it's done what I've needed.

I didi exactly the mod your wanting to do with a Lincon PAK10. 110v flux core and I am not an experienced welder at all, nor am I skilled at it. Mine turned out really well and I am very happy with the end result.
Square was 2x4"x3/16" thick, but I found since I wasn't able to go very hot, otherwise burn through the sheet metal, that this welder did just fine for what I needed.

I'd second going with a 110 if you want to get a cheaper welder. For sheetmetal a smaller welder works better anyways and for rock rails you only need a 110. I'd still stick with a Hobar/Lincoln/Miller ESAB is also good if you find one, check out your local classifieds used welders come up quite a bit.

Back