• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help re-assembling a 2.5L XJ.....

YELLAHEEP

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I bought a '98 with a 2.5L. The engine grenaded and I bought it from an owner who'd taken it to a dealership to have an estimate done to repair it. The engine is torn down in the engine compartment - just the short block, crank and pistons are in place. The head is off along with the intake, hoses, vac. lines etc.....

Does anyone know of some pics on line (links?) or would anyone be willing to take a few pics of their's that I could use as a reference for re-assembly? It might be fairly straight-forward, but since I didn't take it apart, it's gonna be a bit of a puzzle when I go to replace the engine. Everything was tossed into the oilpan by the technician.

Any help would be much appreciated - I only have experience with the 4.0's.

Thanks!

should be the same as a 4.0 (more or less) just 2 cylinders shorter.

the engine should be removed to rebuild, and have all of it's tolerances checked and double checked. grenaded is a term that means the internals blew up, so chances of anything (even the block) being any good any more are slim to none.

jeepcomj said:
should be the same as a 4.0 (more or less) just 2 cylinders shorter.

the engine should be removed to rebuild, and have all of it's tolerances checked and double checked. grenaded is a term that means the internals blew up, so chances of anything (even the block) being any good any more are slim to none.

I suppose, but it's got a really goofy looking air box over the throttle body that looks to need a handful of vacuum lines. It's then connected to the usual air box on the right side. The P/S pump is divorced from the reservoir and I'm not sure I have the bracket(s) for either, and there's a handful of vacuum lines in a cluster laying off to one side.

The injectors, fuel rail look the same as a 6cyl. And the A/C compressor.... that's about it.

Gonna be "interesting". But a pic or two of an assembled one could be very helpful.

Back