• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cooling issues, 2000 XJ

okreno

NAXJA Forum User
Ah yes, winter in Ohio. The wind chill is 15 degrees F and my XJ seems to have some issues surfacing...

2000 XJ Sport 4.0L 165k miles, all stock.

A couple weeks ago, the engine was running a bit hot, and I found that coolant was running low. My fault, of course, so I mixed some antifreeze and filled up the overflow bottle. Worked like a charm for about a week, and then started running hot again. I decided the mixture might have been a bit too rich and added some more distilled water to the overflow and bingo, good to go again. Of course it was getting colder, and as I turned on my heater, the air was tepid at best. Occasionally, it would get pretty hot and heat the cabin as expected, but it's still kind of hit or miss.

So, at this point, I'm thinking that the heater core is full of crud and needs flushed and/or replaced. The heat has been working well enough to take the chill out of the air, so it wasn't a major concern until about after xmas when things would be generally less hectic.

Today at lunch, I'm idling in a parking lot enjoying some hot soup and the engine starts to get a little on the hot side...not much over 210, but slightly higher than normal. I start to pull out (done with my soup) and get to a stop sign when it starts idling rough. It usually idles around the .75RPM range, but it was dipping halfway below one when it was starting to shudder a bit. Gave it some gas and it was fine, but as soon as went back to idling, it would get rough again. The engine never actually killed itself, but I didn't have much time to inspect since I needed to get back to work fast (about half a mile away).

As I pull into the parking lot at work, it is still idling rough, and I notice it smells hot. I get out and see that the overflow bottle is full and spitting out on the ground below, and the engine has a tiny bit of smoke coming off the top (maybe just from the extreme cold?).

So, thoughts? I first was thinking maybe it was finally time to replace the radiator. It's been recommended to replace it before, but until it stopped doing its job, I didn't see a good reason to do it. After reading some of the forums, I'm leaning towards a new water pump and thermostat. I also read a post mentioning a leaking head gasket...greeaaaaat.

Fair warning, I'm a bit of a noob, but I am certainly not afraid to get my hands dirty. I've replaced my own a/c compressor (couple times), wheel bearings, and a few other fun parts!

Thanks in advance. :)

2 things...

how old is your water pump?

Replace your pressure cap! :)

Everything is original under the hood except the a/c compressor. This has been a good vehicle that I've driven cross country several times--and I'm supposed to drive it to Atlanta (9 hours away) this weekend!

Haven't tried replacing the radiator cap... Should I skip the water pump for now and just try the cap? I'd like to have my XJ in top shape by the end of the week if possible.

okreno said:
Everything is original under the hood except the a/c compressor.

I hope your coolant isn't that old. Radiators should be flushed and refilled with fresh coolant every 2-3 years or 30,000 miles (turn the heat to full hot and you flush the heater core also). Radiator caps are cheap and should be replaced before they stop holding pressure. Have you checked for oil in your coolant and for coolant in your oil? You are looking for a blown head gasket or a cracked head.

If your radiator is clogged or leaking, yes it will need to be replaced.

Do a search and some reading about the 0331 cylinder head.

Last edited:
Tim_MN said:
I hope your coolant isn't that old.

Haha...my mistake. All the consumables are replaced regularly (fluids, filters, etc.). I actually just flushed my radiator this past spring, and try to do it about every year and a half.

Sounds like the radiator cap is a good place to start. I'll give it a go and see if that fixes the issue!

Yep, those pressure caps need replaced pretty regularly...good rule of thumb is to do it every time you flush the radiator. What about your thermostat? that the original one too? you might want to replace that too...easy fix. get an OEM one. also get the little cardboard "gasket" and some grey waterpump/t-stat housing RTV.

Back