• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

PRE-97 hatch latch issue

phenryiv1

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a 95 XJ that had been cared for with less than kid gloves. The hatch latch is stuck. I was able to free it from the inside, but even with the key, nothing happens with the button from the outside. It appears that the latching mechanism has rusted, and I cannot get any of the moving parts to move without considerable force. I have PBBlasted the thing to death.

First, what is the best way to try to clean and lubricate those parts?

Second, how hard is it to just replace the latch mechanism, and can it be done while keeping the same lock and key cylinder?

Lastly, what is the best way to remove that interior panel without breaking the panel, the fiberglass tailgate, or both?

The panel removes fairly easily - a couple screws, a bunch of body clips and then up and out. That latch is fairly easy as well. If you buy the part from the dealer it will come with a new key, but any locksmith will be able to match it to your old keys fairly cheap.

The latch mechanism is separate from the lock and key cylinder.

http://www.teamcherokee.coml has oem latches for about $22. I got a replacement for my 93 because I wanted the to add a hatch dome light.

They describe this as oem and I assume that it is, however the attachment method varied a bit. My original latch had nuts spot welded to the bottom plate that received the three attachment screws. On the replacement the holes were there but there were no nuts or threads. As far as I can remember, it should be easy enough to get nuts and attach. In my case I happened to have a tap that matched the screws and it only took a couple of minutes to cut a thread in the existing holes. Otherwise replacement is very straightforward.

I have no idea how these vary by year but when you get your replacement latch, you might want to compare with your original before you remove it to see if you need some attachment hardware.

Pelican said:
The latch mechanism is separate from the lock and key cylinder.

http://www.teamcherokee.coml has oem latches for about $22. I got a replacement for my 93 because I wanted the to add a hatch dome light.

They describe this as oem and I assume that it is, however the attachment method varied a bit. My original latch had nuts spot welded to the bottom plate that received the three attachment screws. On the replacement the holes were there but there were no nuts or threads. As far as I can remember, it should be easy enough to get nuts and attach. In my case I happened to have a tap that matched the screws and it only took a couple of minutes to cut a thread in the existing holes. Otherwise replacement is very straightforward.

I have no idea how these vary by year but when you get your replacement latch, you might want to compare with your original before you remove it to see if you need some attachment hardware.
Thanks for the tip and the link.

I looked at my attachment, and it appears to be the same as yours- 3 rivets and a few Torx screws.

Once you get the hatch cover off you can take the latch assembly out, there moving "arm" that can jam. Just clean and adjust.

If you cut a hole ( aprox. 1 1/2" X 3") on the hatch cover over the mechanism access hole you wil have a handy hand grip to close the hatch from the inside, if you slide the square white plastic piece you can lock / unlock without a key.
You can also unlatch the hatch from the inside by pushing the lever.
Great for camping especially if you have a 2 door.

I agree with PhotographerMike that these are simple mechanisms and you may well not have to replace the latch after removing, cleaning and lubing your existing one.

Note that you do not have to mess with the four rivets unless the bottom plate is severely rusted and you have to replace it, but that plate is a separate item from the latch. You only have to remove the three torx head screws to remove the mechanism. I will add that two of the screws did not come willingly. I don't know if that is typical but if so, you will pretty much need a socket to get them out along with some patience to keep from stripping.

Back