• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Timing on a 2.5 with Renix ECU

SPVFD47

NAXJA Forum User
I just rebuilt the 2.5 in my XJ. The gas mileage isn't so great and I suspect the timing maybe the answer. I set the crank to TDC and pulled the distributor cap off and noticed the rotor was passed the number 1 point. I pulled the distributor out and turned the oil pump back a little, and then put the distributor back in and it lines up fine now. I guess the distributor was one gear tooth ahead on the cam gear.

My question is what should the timing be at normal idle (about 700-800 RPM). My scanner tool read 10 degrees BTDC both before and after making the adjustment. I don't see how this could be seeing as it was off before, unless the computer was able to make the adjustment with it being off.

I've never seen a ignition setup like this before. A distributor with no vac advance. And a distributor that really doesn't control when the clynders fire, but rather a computer telling the coil when to fire and rotor having such a big contact that theres no way it doesn't make contact with any plug. I thought newer cars without a distributor were bad enough !

let me give you a hint dude, there isnt a scanner out there(at any cost) able to determine what the ignition timing really is ........you are reading what the computed timing is supposed to be, (thats why it did not change)and thats provided the base timing is set currectly....(most vehicles have a crank sensor now that handles this) by moving the distributor you only alter the fuel injector sync signal, I.E. cam sensor signal or in laymens terms injector timing is altered

Last edited:
I hear ya man... I have a timing light somewhere, but can't find it... Wish I could... I hate the damn electronic computers. Can't tweak anything... Cause it just adjusts it back to what its programmed to be !

Back