• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Change from 4.10 to 4.88 worth the money?

jeeperguy21

NAXJA Forum User
I'm currently running my '99 automatic with 35 in BFG mud terrains with 4.10 gears. I had the 4.10 setup with my 32's but have since gone bigger, but kept the same gear ratio. Needless to say I loved the power it had with the 32" tires, and no longer have the pep that I had now that I have 35" tires. The question I have is whether or not the jump from 4.10 to 4.88 is worth the hundreds of dollars I would have to spend for the parts/labor? Anyone else made that change, and if so, was it worth it or would my money be better spent on the extra gas money?

The way I figure it, the jump from 3.55 to 4.10 was great when I got the 32's, so I am figuring that it would also be very noticeable when I jump from 4.10 to 4.88. Anyone with experience with that jump would be greatly appreciated. I would prefer not to get any comments on how bad it sucks with 4.10s, 35" tires, and an automatic, cause there's no need to state the obvious. Thanks for your help/suggestions.

Honestly, if you've gone from your stock gears on 32's to 4.10's on 32's and know what the difference was like, then you already know what the jump from 4.10 to 4.88 on your 35's is gonna be like.

Only you know if that difference was worth the money spent to you.

Hell yeah it's worth the money.

I went from 4.56 to 5.13, which is close.

Go for it. :thumbup:
Your butt will think ya just put in a stroker.

What axles do you have?The 8.25 only goes to 4.56!

RCP Phx said:
What axles do you have?The 8.25 only goes to 4.56!

Got a HP dana 30 and a rear dana 44 from a scout. Won't have an issue going to 4.88. Thanks for all your responses. I'll do the swap this winter.

Back