• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

vac cannister

beakie

NAXJA Forum User
I did a search to find out what the vac cannister does, and I understand the reason its supposed to be there.
While installing a new bumper I punched a hole into it (already been moved but apparently not enuf).
This was the day before a road trip and I knew it was going to affect my Cruise, but decided I would see what its like without it before deciding how or if to fix it.
The only problem I noticed was that the cruise would not hold speed very well up hills... and it wouldn't accellerate very well if at all when I pressed the 'accel' button.
So to remedy this I taped the end of the hose shut and wrapped it a few times to make sure it stayed sealed.Now I have found it to be just fine, same as before.

So my question is, do I need to replace the botttle?
If it works fine now, and all the cannister does is act as a big ball where as the tape is just a small seal over the hose... does the ball really need to be replaced or am I waiting for trouble just leaving it like this.

Ya know, I have the same issue with my CC. I also have been fighting the problem of the A/C changing vents when you push on the gas, and then going back to the dash vents when you let off.... Darn annoying:smsoap: . This is all interrelated. I did relocate the cannister off the front bumper, but it does hold a vacuum..... at least for an hour or so, according to the tale tell gauge. I'll keep looking... There has to be a leak somewhere?????

Last edited:
ok, reaplcing it is on my todo list, just wondering if it had to be on top or just in the near future.
adding to that, can I get a cannister off another vehicle, and make it fit the hose or hose fit it... or should a direct replacement be used... I can't see a problem with a dif one if it does the same thing... but is there a size issue or amount of vaccum it holds that may be a problem?
as for the A/C issue, no idea whats going on there.. mine is disconnected and awaiting the OBA conversion... never used it anyway much prefer windows down and wind a blowin.

beakie said:
ok, reaplcing it is on my todo list, just wondering if it had to be on top or just in the near future.
adding to that, can I get a cannister off another vehicle, and make it fit the hose or hose fit it... or should a direct replacement be used... I can't see a problem with a dif one if it does the same thing... but is there a size issue or amount of vaccum it holds that may be a problem?
as for the A/C issue, no idea whats going on there.. mine is disconnected and awaiting the OBA conversion... never used it anyway much prefer windows down and wind a blowin.

Any canister should work, as long as it has a check valve. I'm not sure all canisters have integral check valves, as the Jeep ones do, so if you get one that doesn't you'll need to put one in the line. My old 87 with cruise had a double chamber, with one for the cruise and one for the heater and axle disconnect, but I don't know if they bothered to do that with later ones after they dropped the disco axle.

The AC and heat are also vacuum controlled, both the vents and the heater valve, which is why when you run out of vacuum it defaults to defrost, and may also default to full hot.

Oh, I wasn't knockin' it. JB Weld is your friend. It's gotten me out of a few tough spots. I got to searchin' on the vacuum leak with my A/C - CC and found a vacuum check valve(looks almost like a small filter) close to the intake manifold that was defective. I'll take a six dollar a/c fix anyday!

ok, well from what I have understood I'll either look for a replacement, single chamber cannister. My line has the check valve (filter looking piece) inline near the intake manifold, so the cannister doesn't need the check valve (right?)

On the other hand I could JB weld it and walk away. Will take a quick look around the pick n pulls, if nothing is found I'll plug it.

thanks for the help all

I own a 99 xj and I destroyed my vacume bottle getting towed out of a mud hole and now I cant find a replacement anywhere. AAP does'nt even know where to look, their computers list nonthing and the dealership can't find one either. Anyone know a website to find it or another name I should try looking under?
THANKS, Ty

I would find one at a wrecker
find out if you need a single/double chamber cannister (I have no idea for yours, mine was single) and if it needs a check valve or not. or find the same Jeep at a wrecker and pull it from there.
in the mean time some tape over the end, so you can pull it off and plug it into the new cannister will work. Or the JB Weld option but that would be more permanent I think.

Back