• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Max tire width with stock wheels.

BuddhamanJB

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all. i posted this in the OEM board but I think it probably belongs in here.
I have 31"x10.5 tires on now which rub a little bit at full lock. Tomm. I'm getting 31"x11.5 tires. Will these tires be ok with no backspacing? I don't mind a little rub at full lock. Just wondering what the max width for a 1990 cherokee is with stock rims. I also have a 4.5" lift if that matters.
Thanks

That depends on the purpose of the vehicle. You should be fine with an 11.5 on a 7 inch rim. On trail-only rigs, have have seen up to a 13.50 on a 7 inch rim....but I wouldn't recommend that on the road.

If you go bigger than 10.50 on stock wheels your tires are going to balloon out and probably wear unevenly, at least from what the guy told me at the tire store. They'll probably rub a lot at less than full lock too. If you're dead- set on running 11.50's I would get some cheap $40.00 Cragar Soft 8's in 15x8's. You can get the proper backspacing and not have to worry about rubbing.

The tire store guy was either inexperienced or looking for a wheel sale....or both. A 7" wheel is fine for a 31 or 32 x 11.50. I ran 32's on stock Sport wheels for years, logging 70K highway and countless trail miles with no negative wear issues.

A bigger concern is Back Spacing, often referred to as BS. A tire that wide on a stock wheel will certainly rub on the LCA's when turning. I run 1.25" billet adapter that push the wheel out, netting a total BS of 4", instead of the factory wheels 5.25" BS.

I have 32X11.50s on stock jeep rims and no issues. I would not go any wider though. I have a set of Bridgestone Dueler M/Ts (now discontinued, dealer said they did not sell?) I think they are great for a DD/weekend warrior. I took them for their maiden voyage yesterday and they performed well. I’m not bias because I got them for free... In the mud they cleaned well, not really any rocks close by, but rolled over some terrain obstacles (uphill rutted washouts, hey its Savannah, GA...). I would actually pay money for them for my DD. Good sized lugs for radials. They are a little larger than BFG M/T and are similar looking.

I searched all over for the Dueler M/Ts and tire rack is the only place I can find them and they only have 31X10.50s. Damn...

I would suggest buying a set of 15x8 steelies w/3.75 to 3.5" of backspace. Check out tirepackage.com. I got 15x8 procomp soft 8's w/3.5" bs, with 31x10.50r15 FC2's, mounted, balanced and delivered to my door for less than $700.00.

CJ's98XJ said:
I would suggest buying a set of 15x8 steelies w/3.75 to 3.5" of backspace. Check out tirepackage.com. I got 15x8 procomp soft 8's w/3.5" bs, with 31x10.50r15 FC2's, mounted, balanced and delivered to my door for less than $700.00.

X2. Your biggest demon will be in the backspacing like most people are saying. Personally, I don't care for spacers as I have seen bad experiences with them due to the load. Go ahead and buy those soft 8's...you'll be glad you did.

i used to have the same setup except with 32x11.5 and they only rubbed a little bit at full lock on the LCA's. you should be fine if you don't mind a little rub

I ran 32x11.5's for a long time on stock wheels. They rubbed a little but stuffed great. I'd have no problem doing it again.

dsc00423.jpg

dsc00434.jpg

dsc00435.jpg

Back