• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

pondering a buggy build

jeep/bronco

NAXJA Forum User
i am thinking of building a buggy out of another xj nothing fancy just a budget build with as many stock parts as i can use. just as a general idea what is the ballpark price on a project like this. i realize there are numerous factors that effect pricing the main one being "who do you know?"

I am in the middle of a buggy build right now. I got the rig for $100 with some stuck lifters. I have got my front suspension, some armor, and most of the engine back together and some other small stuff and I think I am about 3K in right now. I still need rear suspension, rear axle (has stock 35), more armor, rear seats (PRP's for the kids), tires, wheels, lockers, and also still need to fab the bumpers and cage.
I think I should be able to finish with another 3K.........maybe?????????

400$ cherokee- with no engine
new 4.0 with every new seal possible
5" leafs with short arm in the front 5.5", alloy usa axles in the 27 spline 8.25, cv axles in the hp d-30, lock-rites front and rear, smitty built winch, 33x12.5x15 on some steel rims, home made winch mount/ front bumper and homemade rock sliders,

my lift in the front is

rustys hd track bar
rustys 5.5" coils
rustys extended brake lines
7" shocks in the front
teraflex lca's
the lca mounts are modified so i can get maximum drop
all new brakes and a whole bunch of other maintance stuff when i tossed the new engine in,
already bought 165' of tube steel for a cage, just havent nad the time to build it
this is a picture from a mid- build run
PICT0070.jpg

thats what i consider a mild build, wild build would include d60 front, 14bolt rear, atlas 2, 350 small block, 4 link front and rear with suck down winches
or rockwell axles

PICT0079.jpg

my buddies are doing something along the lines of what i think you want.

they drove a stock cherokee into the garage and started cutting.

now they are just going to add tube in the appropriate places and run some 35s, pretty much all stock parts.

ill get rawbrown to chime in on this.

I've seen one of what I would consider a "buggy" built off of a XJ platform. He had to build a sub-frame and hack away almost all of the sheetmetal, in addition to swapping out most of the powertrain and running gear. If it were me, I'd start with something that already has a full frame for a "buggy" build. Toyota trucks and Chevy and Ford Blazers/fullsize Broncos/1/2 ton pickups are the most common ones I see built off of an existing platform.

i can spend whatever within reason my only kicker is my girl, justifying 10 grand on a rock crawler when were saving to buy a bigger house would be kinda hard ..lol...but i have a few motors laying around 302 318 340 and a 454
they all need work but i have access to shop welder but would have to buy a tube bender. i want to play on the rocks load it up once its done head out west and try to break it at moab

A decent bender and DOM tube gets expensive fast.... especially if it's your first time at it and expecting to mess up and have waste...

There's a XJ buggy aready built on NC4x4.com for something like 4500.00 you should check out.. his name is XJay and it's in the Vehicles 4-sale section.

Chris

If you're you looking for a 53 M38A1... I can help ya...

My cousin has one that he completely restored w/ original parts (motor, etc.) not fiberglass crap, etc. We have around $10,000 in receipts..

But here's XJay's and it's a CJ2a http://www.nc4x4.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8627&d=1192412932

And Join NC4x4.com IT's $5.00 and there's tons of memeber from SC, VA, and TN

OH and here's a link to his buggy 4-sale I'll see if I can find some pics. Basically its very similar to my jeep just no body and more tube... http://www.nc4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32374

Can you not post pics in the FS Forums? Neverany pics? And I still have to be a member to see the pics of the 53. I'd love to see it... how about some copy paste into this thread?

Back