• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

radio help

88xjchief

NAXJA Forum User
I replaced my speakers in the hatch and doors. I added the sound bar and thought about adding speakers to the dash. What size would fit in the dash? I would be running 8 speakers off the head unit. What kind of amp should I get?

you'll probably need an amp to power all those speakers. are you talking about adding speakers behind the grills on the underside of the dash below the instrument cluster and under the glove box?

tigerShark said:
you'll probably need an amp to power all those speakers. are you talking about adding speakers behind the grills on the underside of the dash below the instrument cluster and under the glove box?
Yeah those peakers.

the spots on the lower dash were ment for tweeters, are you using a factory head unit/, cause the higher end models had the two tweeters, two door speakers, and the two hatch or overhead speaker bar speakers with out an amp... i beleve, correct me if i'm wrong.

When you add extra speakers to a channel, you mess up the impedence. The head unit is designed to output into a specific impedence. Simply wiring in extra speakers can change that impedence by quite a bit.

2 8ohm speakers in parallel present a 4ohm load to the amp. This may not be good. 2 8ohm speakers in series presents a 16ohm load. Also may not be a good idea. If your amp is designed for an 8ohm load and you want 2 speakers on that channel, you need to get 4ohm speakers and hook them in series.

The gist of this is: make sure the head unit or amp can handle the load you are planning to present to it.

Perhaps what you are planning will work fine, I just suggest asking a good stereo tech about this. I have also comnsidered putting a couple speakers in the lower dash location but haven't done it yet as I have not yet checked out the impedence issues. I probably should find a stereo forum somewhere.

your radio will not like it if you start trying to run 8 speakers off of it. Head units are designed to run at 4ohms not at 2. if you put 2 speakers on each channel of the head unit it is going to run hot and you could fry the internal amp. Most aftermarket amps are easily capable of running a 2ohm stereo load, but they will run hotter.

Why are you wanting to run all of the speakers? louder? If you want ti louder just get some decent speakers and a decent amp and you can stick with 4 instead of trying to get 8 in there. More than likely it will sound like shyt with 8 with out the proper amps and tuning.

Back