• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Please Help Jeep won't start

88jeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I've been having a problem with the MAP sensor for a while now. My Jeep would crank over but would not start. When I unplugged the MAP sensor and "fiddled with it" the Jeep would start right up. Now it won't start or even turn over at all. It has started up twice for me since it has stopped turning over but I only drove it a short distance and parked it and now it won't turn over anymore. Do you think it's the MAP sensor or do I have another problem now.

88 Jeep Cherokee stock

Thanks guys

We may be having a slight problem with your terminology. By turning over do you mean the starter won't turn the motor over? Is the battery dead?
First thing to check is if you are getting any spark. Some sensor faults will cause a no spark, while others (MAP) just mess with the fuel and timing.

Thanks for the reply, the batterie is fully charged and all the lights come on when I turn the ignition, I can also hear what must be the fuel pump but nothing else happens. It has started twice since this started three days ago but is doing it again. In the past it was always "turning over" like it was trying to start, I would unplug the MAP sensor and plug it back in and it would start.

I'd venture a guess on the NSS.
Try this.
make sure it's in park.
put the keey in the on position
jump the starter solenoid with a screwdriver and see if it starts.

or even simpler, try wiggling the shifter while it's in park and trying to start it at the same time. or try the same while it's in neutral. if you can find a "sweet spot" where it starts every single time, then your neutral safety switch is dirty or bad.

Well I couldn't get it going so I had it towed off to the dealer. The tow must have bumped something the right way because it started up at the dealer the first time. I picked it up and drove it for a couple days with no problems. Then one time it did it again, nothing the first two times I turned the ignition switch exept power to everything, then the third time it started. It started again the next time I drove it but then it wouldn't start after several tries.

I got it started by wiggling the shifter when in park so it seems to be the Neutral Safety Switch. I had this installed about two years ago as part of a recall so I can't see it beeing too badly gummed up or bad. I found this link http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoNSSrebuild.htm using the search but I'm not 100% on how to adjust it with the adjusting bolt if this is all I have to do. Thanks again.

Last edited:
the adjusting bolt is in a slot on the NSS. You can loosen the adjuster and the main nut, then you can rotate the NSS front and back slightly.
tighten it all down once it works.

Back