• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is it bad news?

imma honky

NAXJA Forum User
How much play are rocker arms suppose to have? OR how easy is a cleaned tappet suppose to compress? On the exhaust arm for CYL 1 I have a fair amount of play, but that was the only tappet I cleaned up. CYL 2 Exhaust has some play, but not as much as 1. I haven't gone any further in-case I have to pull it apart again (which I may end up just taking a shotgun to if I have to). I'm seriously tired of seeing the inside of this POS.
Can I get by as is?
Tear it back down and replace the tappets?<-- if this is case, anyone wanna by it for what I have invested????? Lots of new parts!
ugh, i'm tired and irritated. Nothing has gone good from the start.

Last edited:
it ain't that hard to replace lifters. should take a day or so. I did my 87 on the side of the road by my house. Gotta love pittsburgh pa. on street parking sucks. lol

Eh, i pulled the head again and started to pull the other lifters. I need a better tool though. Broke one, and im bending the second one!

You're up late my friend, sun will come up soon. Don't stay up too late, counter productive. Not even going to try and trouble shoot this one, been way too long. Sorry.

i got one from advance think it was like 12 bucks. spray the lifter valleys with carb choke cleaner it will help out a bunch. biggest thing TAKE YOUR TIME. What year was it anyways. Mine was an 87, pretty sure it was orig stuff. Probably took me about an hour to gett all the lifts out, losts of shizit down there.

tbrunson said:
You're up late my friend, sun will come up soon. Don't stay up too late, counter productive. Not even going to try and trouble shoot this one, been way too long. Sorry.
Weather is iffy tomorrow (sunday) so im getting my time when I can.

Back