• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Xtra wiring tucked under console front..??????

dannofalcon

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys...New XJ jeep owner from Australia, great site..cheers...ok...here's the problem. I had an issue with an aftermarket hands free kit fitted in an under console, and this was obviously fitted years b4 i purchased it as it was for an old ericson phone. anyway...apon remove this mess and tangle of poor fitted wiring that looked like a handfull of aldente sphagetti thrown from a distance, under the dash ( minus meatballs ). Once succesfully removed...i found an extra wiring loom that fell out of the front of the console, which led up under the dash to the firewall...with a large 10 pin flat plug....ok...panic time..." uh oh..were the hell did this come from..!!!!" spent hours trying to find its mate...to no sucsess. Now to let you understand the fear factor here...the heater blower was paying up at around the same time...as in the directional blow from up to front to vent....( later to find the vac pipe popped off....phew )...Still seriously scratching my head..i asked around to find that i got answers from the trans inhibitor, to the seat funtion loom...But No...everything was working....Went to a Jeep wrecker, he didnt know either so we proceeded to pull the console out of a wreck, becouse you can see the loom come from under the dash, and disappear into the front of the console....AHA...thats the one i said ...Triumfant at last ( spelling wrong i know)...we ripped that console out to see its purpose, mate or joined companion.....But....Nothing...it was NOT CONNECTED TO ANYTHING..!!!! just tucked away like a an afterthought from the designers who looked at each other and said..." um...dunno...just tuck it under there and ...um....Shhh ".

To My Dilema...WHAT IS THIS Plug for..??? anyone..?? There must be a purpose for it...I have looked at every jeep pic i can get my hands on...But nothing to even say its for an accsessory from jeep as an option...Anyone...? it sits ....waiting for something...Help me put this crazy little plug to a purpose.. Cheers ...Dan from Downunder:wierd:

sorry, not sure of the plug, but on my 1989 2dr sport model with no power windows/door locks and no ac, i have numerous wiring harnesses under the dash that go to nowhere.

Thanks for the reply....This Is a limited model with all the groovy stuff like leccy windows, mirrors seats and stuff...but not sure...Maybe foe heated seats ...hmmm....the mystery deepens....cheers

maybe it's control for power mirrors that are no longer there and/or were never there.

is the plug white and square-ish? can you post a picture of it?

I have a plug like this. Its leader wire is only about 6 inches long or about 15.25 cm and mine has a black cap on it. My XJ is an 85.

IT COULD BE THE DIAGONOSTIC PLUG. THEY PLUG THAT INTO THE MACHINE WHEN YOUR CHECK ENGINE LIGHT COMES ON AND ITS SUPPOSED TO FIX IT. SORRY FOR MY LACK A TECHNICAL TERMS

MUDDJUNKIE96 said:
IT COULD BE THE DIAGONOSTIC PLUG. THEY PLUG THAT INTO THE MACHINE WHEN YOUR CHECK ENGINE LIGHT COMES ON AND ITS SUPPOSED TO FIX IT. SORRY FOR MY LACK A TECHNICAL TERMS

i guess that would depend on what year it is.

HE SAID ITS A 96, I'VE GOT A 96 AND I'VE GOT THAT

Double checked.....its not diagnostic....theres one of those on the drivers side, its not mirrors, has them already..its just a flat black plug about 3 inches long with 8 wires into the back of it...its a male end by the looks of it....Still got me buggered....Did the XJ's have heated seats in some country's..?????

heated seat wiring does NOT RUN THROUGH the center console area. it's run below the carpet up to the seat. the controllers for heated seats are ON THE SEATS.

so, that's ruled out.

check if it used to have power mirrors

Does your jeep run alright?
Does everything work thats supposed to? And if not, do you know why?

If you answered yes to the above questions, I, Personally, wouldn't worry about it.

Back