• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drop down brackets... I've searched!

Throttle

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so here's my deal.

I've got a 98XJ with a 4.5" RE lift, along with 2" coil spacers in the front and an add a leaf in the back to bring it up to 6.5" total. Now I've got a really bad vibration from my front driveshaft, and I've tried replacing all the U-joints and checked the CV and they all feel great. I've even taken the driveshaft to the shop to have them look at it and they said it was fine. Having said that now, looking at my driveline angle from the axle pointing toward the transfer case, it doesn't look bad (pics will be posted tomorrow, as its 1am and dark outside), but I'm thinking that the control arms were only designed for a 4.5" lift, adding the coil spacers in the front has brought the axle back and therefore pointed the axle slightly higher than the transfer case, causing my driveshaft vibration (by the way, as soon as the d/s is taken out, the vibe stops). So my question is, if I were to install the drop down brackets, would this potentially kill my vibration woes by pushing the axle forward once again and being more aligned with the transfer case?

Yes, they will push 'em forward. I have the RE 4.5 with drop brackets and really like it. Made the rig a whole lot more streetable and brought the control arms closer to their original angle.

Will that alone fix the vibration problem you are experiencing? Hard to say, since I haven't gone those extra 2" yet.

Let's see those pics of the pinion angle.

Here's the pics, not a really good angle on the pics, but you may get the jsut of them.

DSC00862.jpg

DSC00863.jpg

DSC00861.jpg

DSC00860.jpg

DSC00859.jpg

DSC00858.jpg

You can see in this last picture how my coils are curved back due to the 2" coil spacers bringing the axle back in the vehicle.

ya, your gona defiantly want to do drop brackets. they will probably solve your drive line vib issue, plus the overall ride will be much better

Driveline angle doesnt look that bad. If I had to guess I'd say the CV joint is shot. Its ultra common on stock front driveshafts..

So last night I was driving home from work (working evening shift until 12am), and the vibration from the truck was really starting to piss me off. I had already taken my driveshaft to a 'known driveline shop' to test it to see if it was out of balance or worn out and they said it was fine. Having already told me it was fine, I finally said screw it, because I've replaced ALL my U-joints, and checked my driveline angles and the vibe was still there, so I went out this morning to the local wreckers, pulled a new d/s out and stuck it in. Took it on the highway to test it out, and now no more vibration! So for $20 I got two horns, and a new driveshaft. Now I have no vibe, and a spare driveshaft for the trails! :roll:

Nice, you might still want to do drop brackets or longarms though. Those control arm angles are no good, plus the ride is Much better with them.

I have 6.5 RC lift with the RC drop down brackets and no vibes from the front!
Rough Country makes the brackets hit GRIMUS99XJ up he is the RC rep here!

Back