• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle? 44 vs 8.25

5.2poweredxj

NAXJA Forum User
Ok here the deal I got mostly complete d44 out of scout but I missing the rear brakes and the bolt pattern is wrong. I also got a trac loc and 4.09 gears to go with the 4.10 for the front.

Or I could buy newer 8.25 axle and keep the same bolt pattern and use the trac lok that I got for one to. But I do not have the 4.10 gears for one which shouldn't be to hard.

Now which route should I take. Get some backing plates and make a drum setup on the d44 and buy some adaptor for the bolt pattern to be changed.

or go with 8.25 axle and buy different gears?

Second question how much different in width is the scout rear compared to d35?

The Scout axle is about 58" give or take from WMS. Do what I did. Go with the Scout dana 44 and get 1" spacers that have the corrected bolt pattern on them and you will be set. The dana 44 has a 30 spline count vs 27 or 29, depending on the year of the 8.25 axle. The 44 also is not a c-clip axle, the 8.25 is. The strenghth of both axles is very close, but the 44 is stronger, so why not go with the beefier axle to begin with, eh?

from what I understand the 44 is only marginally stronger than a 29spline 8.25.I am running 34"swampers and will be swapping in a 8.25 that I got off ebay for $20.00.

I would throw the 8.25 in.IMO its not worth the time,money,and effort to make a marginally stronger axle work.

I got 30 spline axle 44. It would cost me maybe at the most 125 maybe even half that to get the whole 8.25 if I can get one.

I got a whole 10 bucks in 2 d44 one front and one rear that bought of ebay from local seller. So it not like paid alot for it. I may just make some brake setup for it put in all new bearings and stuff.

I don't plan on going any taller with my lift or bigger tires but my D35 isn't going to like me if I take it offroad in 4 lo with the V8.

Last edited:
jeeperguy21 said:
The Scout axle is about 58" give or take from WMS. Do what I did. Go with the Scout dana 44 and get 1" spacers that have the corrected bolt pattern on them and you will be set. The dana 44 has a 30 spline count vs 27 or 29, depending on the year of the 8.25 axle. The 44 also is not a c-clip axle, the 8.25 is. The strenghth of both axles is very close, but the 44 is stronger, so why not go with the beefier axle to begin with, eh?
Makes sense to me. I'm doing the same thing with spacers on my 8.8 to add width and change to 5 on 5.5" pattern. Works like a charm.

-----Matt-----

Back