• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4x4 won't work all the time.

Ernrok

NAXJA Forum User
Hey All,
This is my first XJ. It's a 99 Sport A/T 4.0 w/108,000 miles. So here's what's going on. When I first got it The 4X4 worked fine. I went hunting last week, and went to put it in 4wd and the part time light did not go on the first try. I tried a second time and it worked. So I didn't think much of it. Today went hunting again and the same thing happened. But this time it didn't go in 4wd. After the hunt tried it again and it worked. Got home and tried it once again and it fail again. This is my first Jeep, truck, 4wd, so I'm learning about this. Any ideas.
Thanks in advance.

Ernrok

Vacuum lines would be my guess. I'm not really familiar with the newer ones, but yeah check for clicking noises underneath when it's engaging.

99's don't run a vacume disconnect (thank god) I would say that you need to adjust the linkage at the t-case. You will need a 13mm wrench and some PBlaster, and a little trial and error to see what works. Find the t-case linkage and loosen the 13mm and slide the block one direction and try it, if that dosn't work move it the other way. You probably wont have to move it very far to make a noticable differance. The clicking you hear is probably because it's between 2wd and 4wd

Last edited:
JEFF said:
99's don't run a vacume disconnect (thank god) I would say that you need to adjust the linkage at the t-case. You will need a 13mm wrench and some PBlaster, and a little trial and error to see what works. Find the t-case linkage and loosen the 13mm and slide the block one direction and try it, if that dosn't work move it the other way. You probably wont have to move it very far to make a noticable differance. The clicking you hear is probably because it's between 2wd and 4wd

Ok I also forgot to mention that when I start her up I hear a rattle by the 4wd handle, and when it goes away when I pull the handle up slightly.

Ernrok

YEP, When you find the linkage under the vehicle you will notice that it sits in a bracket that bolts to the trans and the other side fits into a bracket that bolts to the floor pan hump. If you lube it at these two points the rattle/knock noise at idle will go away..........for a while. There is a revised bushing kit you can buy at your dealer to correct this for good.

JEFF said:
YEP, When you find the linkage under the vehicle you will notice that it sits in a bracket that bolts to the trans and the other side fits into a bracket that bolts to the floor pan hump. If you lube it at these two points the rattle/knock noise at idle will go away..........for a while. There is a revised bushing kit you can buy at your dealer to correct this for good.

OK Bro,
Just got under to take a look, and saw what you're a talking about. I sprayed it with Free all, and loosened the screw. I don't think it moved very much. Then I just tightened it back up, and tested it. It works better now, but I'm going to the dealer and order the bushing kit you mentioned and the the part of the link from the handle.

Thanks for your:repair: knowledge.:)

Ernrok

Are you sure 4wd isn't working? It could just be the light. There's a sensor above the transfer case that fails. My light doesn't work. 4wd does.

So are you just assuming 4wd doesn't work because the light isn't on or do you actually know because you got stuck or something?

Blaine B. said:
Are you sure 4wd isn't working? It could just be the light. There's a sensor above the transfer case that fails. My light doesn't work. 4wd does.

So are you just assuming 4wd doesn't work because the light isn't on or do you actually know because you got stuck or something?
Yes I got stuck. When I played with the ajusting screw it went in 4wd.
Ernrok

Back