• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rough country track bar

its an xj thing

NAXJA Forum User
has anyone bought one of the adjustable track bars from rough country? and if so, how did you install it. it didnt come with instructions and it dousnt want to bold up. do i need to drill out the mountimg point on the frame? or what? im very confused and this thing has been sitting in the garage for 2 weeks now.

-matt-

no im having trouble getting it to mount up to the frame bracket. the hole dousnt seem to be big enough to fit the end of the tierod end in, but before i drilled it out, i wanted to see if i forgot something

its an xj thing said:
i can get the end of it in the end of the mount but cant get it to bolt up all the way.
Isn't that a tapered stud (like a tie rod end) so it would tighten up only so far then, castle nut and cotter pin :dunno: ---------Hans

Yeah Oatmeal is right. If you make the hole larger only make it sligtly larger. If you make it too large then the nut will bottom out before it tightens up. WIll it thread down far enough to put the coter pin in it? Compare the factory one with the new one let us know whats different.

it is tapered, but it is not small enough to put the cotter pin in. the stud on the tie rod end seams to be bigger in diamiter than the stock one, but i dont have both off because the new one wouldnt bolt up.

I had the same problem with mine. I tightened the shit out of that nut, but it was still too "high" for the cotter pin to go in. IDK if they use the wrong ball joint or what. I put the nut in a lathe and faced it off so it would tighten up enough to get the cotter pin in. (The nut is still big enough to provide enough tension.) If I didn't have the means to do that, I would PM GRIMUS99XJ and ask WTF? (He is a salesperson for RC)

I would definitely call RC before you go any further. I checked their website for instructions and under this pair there isn't any mention about having to widen the taper of the frame mount hole.
http://www.roughcountry.com/install/1696.pdf
Makes me wonder if by chance you got a bar meant for a WJ or something else that came with a fatter TRE stud than our XJ's did.

Regardless if the hole needs to be made larger you want to use a tapered ream. Otherwise you are weakening that mount and asking for troubles.

lowrange2 said:
I thought the WJ used all the same size TRE.

Call 800-222-7023 and see what they say. :) I'm still fairly sure mine had never been drilled out.

WJ might use the same size TRE (I'm pretty sure they're metric) but it was the only reason I could think of to explain the no-fit.

ya got to open up the hole ! it a PITA but it wont work other wize .best option is to get a reamer . or if your on a serious budget you can solwly open it up with a drill bit ,not the best way ! but it worked in a pinch . :twak:

I had one of those track bars once....until it died, they aren't the best, and could easily be the worst.

Anyway, the TRE fit just fine with no drilling, but maybe they use a larger one now? (that was the biggest problem I had with mine). Either way, don't just drill the hole! It is a tapered hole, so if you need to enlarge it use a properly tapered reamer, not a drill bit! Remember, this part takes more load than your steering, and keeps your axle under your Jeep, you definitely don't want to try to rig anything!

TRAILREADYXJ said:
I the TRE fit just fine with no drilling,
nope ! deffinatly larger than stock !

Either way, don't just drill the hole! It is a tapered hole, so if you need to enlarge it use a properly tapered reamer, not a drill bit! Remember, this part takes more load than your steering, and keeps your axle under your Jeep, you definitely don't want to try to rig anything!

yep !
its also preety thin metal ,actuly 2 pices that are sandwiched /welded together !

well, what has been going through my mind is that i dont want to modify that mount for that exact reason. if i had known that it was going to do this i wouldnt have bought this one. as far as it not being the best, what does that mean exactly. is that coming from a hard core trail riders perspective, or a street drivers perspective. i go mudding sometimes on the weekends, but mostly its just my daily driver. am i ok, or should i look for a new one. also since i lifted the jeep, the drivers side spring rubs on the car, i was told that it needed an adjustable track bar to fix the problem, but if that was the case, wouldnt the passenger side be rubbing instead?

Back