• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I need advise on next phase

sprinkler1228

NAXJA Forum User
I recently went from 31x10.5 to 33x12.5 tires.
I got them with some new rims that have at least 4.5 backspace.
I need to know which is gonna help my problenm of rubbing when I turn.
Adding spacers and shackels or cutting sheetmetal.
I have a 91 with a 4.5" or so lift and I was holding off adding the additional lift till I get a sye setup.
Any suggestions?

here is the problem area in the front.. back is fine.

URL=http://img216.imageshack.us/my.php?image=imgp1121jn3.jpg]
imgp1121jn3.th.jpg
[/URL]

after new rims and tires

URL=http://img225.imageshack.us/my.php?image=imgp1117hh5.jpg]
imgp1117hh5.th.jpg
[/URL]

before new stuff

URL=http://img225.imageshack.us/my.php?image=imgp1097yg2.jpg]
imgp1097yg2.th.jpg
[/URL]

in the front, it looks like you need longer control arms. what do you have now for control arms? adjustable?

yeah, you need longer control arms, drop brackets or long arms.
I'd vote long arms if you're planning on lifting higher.

you need to get the sheel centered in the opening.
I bet your caster angle is pretty ugly as well.

you need to cut metal or bump stop the heck out of it. 33's are just too big to stuff into the xj wheel well with cutting or limiting compression/up travel.

i screwed up and posted the same thing again. i left the compter and came back and posted it twice and went to the edit button. it means nothing more than i fawked up on the computer.

sprinkler1228 said:
what do you mean double post?

Would you all recommend drop brackets or adjustable lower control arms to fix this?

You'd get the best results from a long arm setup but if finances are limiting you then you have to choose between drop brackets and adjustable arms. The drop brackets are cheaper but they tend to scrape on rocks if you do alot of rock crawling. Adjustable arms are good because you can adjust caster angle. Basically ask yourself which compromise best suits your needs?

i see rustys adjustable lowers are about 200 shipped and brackets seems to be about 300 shipped.

I really don't do rocks here in NC and do not plan on going any higher.

I'm leaning to toward Rusty's arms

sprinkler1228 said:
i see rustys adjustable lowers are about 200 shipped and brackets seems to be about 300 shipped.

I really don't do rocks here in NC and do not plan on going any higher.

I'm leaning to toward Rusty's arms

i have no problems with rustys stuff some do, but if your going to do long arms do it right get clayton or tnt or rubicon express.

go jeep has an article on his site for trimming the back of the wheel well, I did it and it was just enought that I no longer touched there, but I have 32's on a 4.75 inch lift

Thanks I'll try that it doesn't look all that complicated.
From all my searches the mounts lower the angle of the arm in realtion to the axle but not the distance at most it moves the axle a 1" max forward. The adjustable arms seem to move the axle away from the attatchment point on the frame but the angle is still gonna be there. I have no issues with dw right now at all so I'm thinking the angle is fine. I'll try the trim this weekend and report back It won't hurt anything.

There's a great article in the FAQ section on trimming the wheelwells. I referenced it when I did mine.

I'd say trim your front fenders and relocate the factory flare up about an 1 1/2" and you're done for the cost of 1-2 hours.

Adjustable CAs and drop brackets are a good idea too but not very needed

Back