• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

N00b's XJ is cold! (temp gauge low, poor heat) Help please.

Petronski

NAXJA Forum User
Here's a 1996 XJ 4.0, 136,000 miles, and now that the weather has turned, I'm cold.

In weather below 40F, the temp gauge hovers below (sometimes far below) the hashmark to the left of 210 (in traffic, once warmed up, the needle climbs to the hashmark to the left of 210, NEVER higher). In addition, it doesn't throw much heat. It takes a long time to warm up the cab and is rarely what I would call "hot" inside. I've never had a vehicle that I had to run with the heat all the way up just to stay warm.

I'm new to XJs so I'm wondering, is this just as good as it gets? I suspect maybe the previous owner swapped in a lower temp thermostat on the engine block, but I don't know enough about XJs to be sure.

The defrost clears the windshield wicked fast, but when I'm on "heat" or "vent," the windshield fogs back up. The cab is not warm enough while on defrost.

If it's like this at 30F outside, what will life be like when it's 20F or 10F outside?

If I unbolt the thing and look at the thermostat, can I tell by looking? Are they usually stamped with the temp rating?

Also, I'm thinking of rigging a toggle switch to the EXT IDLE circuit just for the idea of idling higher and thus maybe running hotter and/or warming up faster in the driveway, and thus producing more cab heat. Would that help?

No flames please, I'm a self-proclaimed n00b. I know cars, but I have no experience with Jeep. Love the rig, very happy I got it. But I'm coooold.

I'd swap the thermostat for a 195 degree OEM dealership thermostat or a Stant thermostat. Those are the only two I've had luck with. Sounds like your thermostat might be stuck open.

I bet you're getting really crappy gas mileage too since it sounds like it is staying in warm up mode all of the time?

i had the same problem with my xj when i lived in utah. my thermostat was stuck open. i went ahead and replaced it (arround $15 if i remember correctly) and did a cooling system flush at the same time. after that it warmed up beautifully.

hope that helps
stewie

Back