• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3/8 compression T-fitting coupler (reducer)...Searched hardware stores. Cannot locate

99xjclassic

NAXJA Forum User
I installed a B&M super cooler with trans temp guage. I also ordered a additional sending unit so I can monitor both incoming and outgoing transmission temps. I need the coupler that reduces the top thread of the 3/8 compression t fitting to the sending unit i believe it is (1/4 npt). I seem to not be able to locate this. They included this in the kit, but I need another to run both units. I have contacted B&M several times with no help. The piece that came with the kit is just labeled as a "coupler" but acts as a reducer. It has female threads on both ends. Please help!
Thanks Denton

Re: 3/8 compression T-fitting coupler (reducer)...Searched hardware stores. Cannot locate

Ok, the plumber is in the building. Not to worry my friend! LOL!

Just to get this straight...you are placing a compression tee inline in order to adapt a guage? Your main line is 3/8" and your gauge is 1/4"? Are your lines steel, aluminum or copper?

Here's what I would do if I had to reduce like that:

first things first, buy two 3/8" compression by MIP (male iron pipe) adapters.
next, buy one 3/8" threaded brass tee.
next, buy one 1/4" compression by 3/8" MIP. (this would only apply if your guage has a compression fitting on it. if it's a straight 1/4" female pipe thread then you would use a 3/8" x 1/4" bushing in your tee and attatch the guage with a short 1/4" brass nipple.)

ok, cut your line and attach one 3/8" adapter and thread your tee on to it. then thread your other adapter into the other side and connect your line into the compression fitting. Now all you have to do is adapt the guage and your set.

Does that make any sense? I hope I was clear enough! Any questions, PM me.

I know what you are looking for and I could not find it anywhere. When I ordered my Autometer Gauge, it came with the plug to braze into the pan. I wanted the t-fitting supplied with the B&M. After a weekend of hitting every hardware store we had, I ended up ordering the B&M kit for the fitting and tossing the gauge. Expensive way to do it I know, but I could not find that piece in a compression fitting anywhere.

Re: 3/8 compression T-fitting coupler (reducer)...Searched hardware stores. Cannot locate

that's just it...there's no such part in standard plumbing. It would have to be a special application thing, like the tee in the kit. Honestly, all the parts needed to make this work would maybe run 10$ and take 20 minutes to install, you just have to be creative.

Why for are you using compression? Tap into the rubber "softlines" (use a 3/8" hose barb) and brass fittings to get the ports you need. Problem solved.

If you end up having to use a 3/8" run T with a 3/8" branch (you should be able to find a 3/8" T with a 1/4" branch,) you can always put in a reducer bushing on the branch.

Pressure in those lines is quite low, so you don't need to use a compression fitting on the hardline to get a good seal.

Sometimes, a little creativity is in order (and some knowledge you didn't have before can help as well.) If you've cut the hardline, you can also patch the cut using 3/8" Auto Transmission Cooler or Power Steering hose. Overlap by at least 1-1/2", use a touch of RTV on the outside of the hardlines, and use two clamps on each end (I know, I shouldn't have to tell you to RTV the outside of the hardline. Unfortunately, someone else might read this, screw up, and become wroth with me...)

one word NAPA

Bored400 said:
Ok, the plumber is in the building. Not to worry my friend! LOL!

Just to get this straight...you are placing a compression tee inline in order to adapt a guage? Your main line is 3/8" and your gauge is 1/4"? Are your lines steel, aluminum or copper?

Here's what I would do if I had to reduce like that:

first things first, buy two 3/8" compression by MIP (male iron pipe) adapters.
next, buy one 3/8" threaded brass tee.
next, buy one 1/4" compression by 3/8" MIP. (this would only apply if your guage has a compression fitting on it. if it's a straight 1/4" female pipe thread then you would use a 3/8" x 1/4" bushing in your tee and attatch the guage with a short 1/4" brass nipple.)

ok, cut your line and attach one 3/8" adapter and thread your tee on to it. then thread your other adapter into the other side and connect your line into the compression fitting. Now all you have to do is adapt the guage and your set.

Does that make any sense? I hope I was clear enough! Any questions, PM me.
Yes that is exactly what I did, but I ended up with a heavy somewhat awkward size fitting. That way will work, but this is going to be supported by my transmission steel line and it just seemed to bulky and heavy for my piece of mind. Thank you so much for you time.

99xjclassic said:
Yes that is exactly what I did, but I ended up with a heavy somewhat awkward size fitting. That way will work, but this is going to be supported by my transmission steel line and it just seemed to bulky and heavy for my piece of mind. Thank you so much for you time.

I ran into the same thing. I didn't want to have such a large piece for something so simple.

i will get you the NAPA part number tomorrow. probably a counter guy to lazy to look.( we have a few where i work)

92XJPortageWI said:
i will get you the NAPA part number tomorrow. probably a counter guy to lazy to look.( we have a few where i work)
That would be awesome!
Thanks everybody for you replies, it is much appreciated:clap:

91 Jeep Project said:
Jon, my problem was that the thread on the temp sender supplied was compression.

Interesting. A compression fitting, right down to the little ferrule on the tube (if you were using a tube?) I've not seen that sort of thing on automotive goodies very often - either standard pipe thread, -AN fittings (37* flared tube,) or -JIC fittings (45* flared tube.)

Why for did they have to go and do that? Hmm...

NAPA part # 72X6, Weatherhead line code, just in case the guy is really lazy.

AN and JIC are both 37 degree flares, 45 degree flares are SAE

92XJPortageWI said:
AN and JIC are both 37 degree flares, 45 degree flares are SAE

Really? Interesting, thank you. I was under the impression that the SAE flare was a 45* "double-wall" or "bubble" flare, while the difference between the -AN and -JIC fittings was the angle. I may have to recheck that...

92XJPortageWI said:
NAPA part # 72X6, Weatherhead line code, just in case the guy is really lazy.
Thanks, but how the heck do I search there site for this?

Back