• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tail light Questions

CJHVN

NAXJA Forum User
The wiring and sockets on my right rear tail light are shot. I'm hoping my local junkyard has one I can grab. If not, I'm screwed!

My question is does the wiring from the tail light terminate at a plug somewhere or is it just bare wiring? In other words, should I be looking for a terminated plug end on the junkyard donor or should I just cut enough wire to splice it into the harness on my Jeep?

Thanks a million!

Dave

It's wrong. .net or .org doesn't work either.

Who cares about a plug though, I'd just splice in new sockets and such. You'll spend all day tearing apart the trim to find the damn plug. A good solder and shrink tubing/electric tape/liquid tape will be just as good!

Blaine B. said:
Who cares about a plug though, I'd just splice in new sockets and such. You'll spend all day tearing apart the trim to find the damn plug. A good solder and shrink tubing/electric tape/liquid tape will be just as good!

I care. Thanks.

Doesn't it seem easier to do it the right way the first time? Simply unplug and plug back in? I don't want to have to doubt my soldering skills, shrink tube, electrical tape, liquid tape job and have to tear it all apart again.

I've had the inside panels off a few times. Takes less than 2 minutes.

I've done many jobs "the backyard" way and I've regretted just about every one. It's nice to do it the right way once than the wrong way twice.

Just my opinion of course. Feel free to do yours anyway you like.

You're right. It is the right way if there is no other option.

If there is a terminated plug end, that would be "more" right, wouldn't it?

Why would you cut a perfectly good wiring harness to solder it together when you could simply plug it in?

Again, just my opinion.

i just pulled my lights last week, there is a plug but its a pain to get to, if you pull the wires tight on the drivers side and look real close you can see it, i managed to talk my gf into unplugging it since i couldnt fit my hand through the sheetmetal

So it's doable if you have small hands? I'm sure I can find someone with small enough hands.

I assume the only panel you had to remove was the back rear interior panel (one big piece) and you could see it?

Thanks for the reply. Gives me hope!

yes it is, just involves lots of cursing and a gf who now hates my xj lol, i didnt remoove any panels, she managed to get to the plug through the hole behind the tailight

CJHVN said:
You're right. It is the right way if there is no other option.

If there is a terminated plug end, that would be "more" right, wouldn't it?

Why would you cut a perfectly good wiring harness to solder it together when you could simply plug it in?

Again, just my opinion.

Not necessarily. Both options plugging in a new harness or soldering/splicing in another harness provide electrically tight and waterproof connections. So it's basically a win-win situation, I guess. Either way provides the same result without any repercussions.

jrod said:
yes it is, just involves lots of cursing and a gf who now hates my xj lol

That's hilarious. My wife hates Jeeps. We have 3 of them and she can't stand them. Everytime I go work on them with buddies, it's like I'm cheating on her...

Women..

Back