• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick questions

FLXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 6in full traction long arm system. First question is is it a good idea to weld the new bracketts to the unibody. Also does anyon know who makes a set off unibody stiffeners which will work with this kit.

TNT Customs is the only company I know of that makes uni-body stiffeners for the XJ

You'll get mixed opinions on whether or not to weld those brackets to the uni-body....I would say yes, its okay....

JNickel101 said:
TNT Customs is the only company I know of that makes uni-body stiffeners for the XJ

You'll get mixed opinions on whether or not to weld those brackets to the uni-body....I would say yes, its okay....

NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER WELD BRACKETS TO THE UNIBODY RAILS!!

when you weld, if the the weld is a perfect text book weld, the weld will not be the weakest link. the weld is the strongest part of the whole "ridged body" as we are assuming. the weak part comes to the thinnest material that the weld is bonded too (area around the weld). when you weld up brackets you want to make sure the material that you are welding to can support the stress of whatever is mounted to them. keep in mind, your "frame rails" are a double rolled sheet metal and the only thing you should weld to them is re-enforcement.

your best bet is to go with TNT stiffeners, or make your own out of 3x3x1/8 angle and weld to that.

DO NOT WELD TO THE UNIBODY RAILS, THE WELD WILL FAIL AND YOU/OTHERS WILL BE INJURED/KILLED!

RE Long arm kit: directions say to weld control arm mounts to uni-frame...

Clayton's long arm kit also specifies that parts must be welded to the uni-body....

Rehab, what you said makes total sense, but there are companies out there who require or suggest welding with their kits...

take the best of both threads
you can weld to the unibody, but welding a small bracket with a lot of pressure being put on it (ie. control arm mounts) without re-enforcing the area around it is going to be a problem. welding frame stiffeners is still welding to the uni body. But now when something is welded to the 'frame' the pressure isn't directed at a specific area on the uni body.
check out the fabrication area, there is a thread or two right now about plating/stiffening the frame using different methods. some good reading, and very helpful. I will be using it for guidance when I grab some steel this week for my frame rails.

rehab said:
NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER WELD BRACKETS TO THE UNIBODY RAILS!!

DO NOT WELD TO THE UNIBODY RAILS, THE WELD WILL FAIL AND YOU/OTHERS WILL BE INJURED/KILLED!

Excuss my language, but you're shitting us, right??

That is the most rediculus thing I've seen posted on this forum in many, many years, and I've seen some dumb ones. Half of everyone posting around here has stuff welded to the frame. BTW, we do have a frame, and that's what we weld to. The XJ construction is uniframe, similar to the old full size Dodge vans, not unibody like most cars are. I still don't get all the talk of welding to the unibody recently, we all used to talk about welding to the frame, but now no one seems to want to use the word frame anymore. We regularly weld brackets, reinforcements, and stiffeners to the XJ frame rails.....which happen to be unitized to the body and are made out of different thicknesses of crappy galvenized sheetmetal.

Yes, just like any other weld, you have to be sure to make a good, clean weld when welding to the XJ chassis.

Back