• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Water Pump PICK NOT 56K FRIENDLY

kdailey4315

NAXJA Forum User
After taking my water pump off and looking at it, it looks brand new. I'm pissed I have to change. I just couldn't take the chance with all the bars leak I found in my radiator. That crap tends to ball up and turn in to beebees of death.

IMG_1036.jpg

IMG_1035.jpg

What made you think it was bad in the first place? Was it leaking from the weap port below the bearing? Making noise?

Just looking at the impeller and "guts" of the pump isn't necessarily going to reveal a problem.

If it spins free with no bearing noise, the impeller is fixed to the shaft and doesn't spin separate from the pulley flange, and wasn't leaking from the seal - it should be a good pump.

I think it looks just fine no need to change that IMHO.
I had to change mine 1yr ago because it was leaking , when I took it off the impeller & the pump whole body was totaly corroded but it did spin freely

Here's a hint....Don't place metal tools/objects on top of your battery.

I've never heard of bars fouling a water pump, if the impeller shaft was tight, the seal was good and the bearing not noisey, renew the gasket and call it good.

A month after I bought my ZJ, the radiator started leaking and found it was full of Bars Leak (probably why the PO sold it). I replaced the radiator and the water pump spit the bearing out the front a few weeks later. The bearing was caked up with that brown crap. Cheap insurance to replace the water pump while you're in there.

lawsoncl said:
A month after I bought my ZJ, the radiator started leaking and found it was full of Bars Leak (probably why the PO sold it). I replaced the radiator and the water pump spit the bearing out the front a few weeks later. The bearing was caked up with that brown crap. Cheap insurance to replace the water pump while you're in there.

That's why I'm doing it. Now I know the entire cooling system will be good for a while now.

Back