• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Box!

MG_43

NAXJA Forum User
Where is the best place to buy a rebuilt steering box? I'm getting clunking noise every once in a while. After checking the shaft in the steering box, it seems to be a little egg shaped. When you move the steering wheel it has play and the pressure moves the shaft (not in a perfect circle) not like it should but moves around like its not a tight fit. All of the rest of the steering componets are nice and tight.
92 XJ TIA

Rebuilt steering boxes from the parts chains are usually cleaned up old boxes that have had the innards tightened up. While this provides a tighter box for a while, you'll experience the same sloppiness sooner than later. Most chain stores do not carry steering boxes that have been tore down and had the gears replaced.

My advice would be to find either a low mileage original box from a yard or find a durango box to swap. Search durango and find the writeup.

Got mine from rockauto shipping wasnt bad.. upgraded to a zj box from a 96 i got some writeups on here somewhere do a search.. went with a cardone ... no complaints so far

My advice is to get a new one. I put in two rebuilts. Both were crap. The first had very poor return on center and was way too light in steering feel. The current one returns on center but has classic morning sickness in cold weather especially -- sticks some on first turn of wheel in morning -- usually due to a bad spool valve. Check for online sources - you should be able to find one in the mid $200s. Greg

Since that lower bearing is often the first thing to go, has anyone here had luck just getting the bearing and seal and doing the job? I'm looking at a similar problem on my 95 (with 89 box), which has a lot of slop in the lower bearing but no other problems. I'd be interested if anyone knows a good source for the parts.

i heard of people doing it with good luck try googling saginaw box ... i normally dont like remans but im honestly impressed by the cardone reman box i have and it does have a lifetime wrty... the OE box lasted from 1988-1997, it was replaced with a 600 dollar from the steelership box that lasted from 1997 till 2005 which was replaced with a cardone with a lifetime wrty thats still going strong after almost a ear

so the 1st box gave me 9 yrs the second box 8 years we will see on the 3rd

iF YOU go with rockauto, i recommend getting the 96 ZJ box much better feel

Back